1/48 Ta152H - Allied Advance and Defense of the Reich WWII.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I need to find a more efficient way to do it. I currently use a sharp x-acto but a drill bit might speed things up. Is that on a pin-vise Andy or are you using a powered drill?

Just a pin vice John. I avoid any power tools on such fine work. I also have a very fine circular jeweler's file that I use in combination with a scalpel after the holes are drilled to widen the holes.

Not much to report on this build. I did make a firewall of plastic card and glued that in but there is more detail to be added before I post some progress shots.

Back at it.

So, I've committed to dropping the entire engine into the space and removed a couple of interfering parts to do so. As there will be a lot visible though the open wheel well, I decided to add a scratch built firewall and a floor around the small tank at the back of the engine.

16051102.jpg

Then, I added a bunch of wire made of copper phone wire and solder just to clutter things up a bit more.

16051104.jpg

The cannon chutes needed opening up so I drilled them out and boxed them in with card.

16051101.jpg
16051103.jpg

What a pain this new format is!! Trying to edit placement of these pictures - SHEESH!! Anyway, I think I got it now - below shows thinning that I did at the wheel well openings. The left one is before thinning and the right one is done.

16051105.jpg

Thanks all. More later.

Some nice work there Andy, and I totally agree about the 'new' format when loading pics. i have enough trouble, sometimes, just getting the text and pics separate, and woe bedtide if an 'edit' has to be made !
As for arranging pics with text - I haven't dared to try yet !!

Thanks guys. Terry, yes, I had one pic that didn't go in full size, so I went to "more options", pressed full sized for the pic and it took it from between text near the end and placed it at the top and blew away the text. I had to cut and paste the pic back to where it was and rewrite the text.

Very nice detailing there Andy.
And I couldn't agree more with you guys about posting pictures. Any time I try to change things around after I intionally down load it puts up two copies of each picture and the only way to get rid of the duplicates is to delete them all and start over again. That and the difficulties of just navigating around, I really miss the old format.

Thanks all. Well, I certainly don't get duplicates but have learned, when posting multiple pictures, to watch the uploading progress bars and make sure that ALL pics are fully uploaded before pressing the button to make them all full size.

Anyhoo, I've got the wings on now and the fit is pretty good, though I'll need to deal with a bit of misalignment at the forward wing root area on one side. I'll try to throw up some pics tonight.

As promised, here's an update showing the work completed on the weekend.

OK, I'm giving up on sorting these pics in the order I want so please bear with me. Something seems to have made this feature even worse than it was and I can't find any view that enables me to re-order the pics.

This shot shows the model after all the clamps were removed. The center seam on the fuselage needed a bit of leveling which was easily accomplished with CA glue followed by filing. The wings went on reasonably well but a few areas need attention.

16051601.jpg

These close-ups show the general fit. One of the issues with the wing roots is that the seam runs through what should be a continuous gun access panel up to a hinge point. Dragon could have been a bit smarter here and engineered the seam so that it followed the panel lines better. As it is, I need to fill in an and smooth otherwise acceptable seam very close to the molded hinge.

16051602.jpg

This pic shows the fit of the wings on the underside - no complaints here. If you look close at the forward edge of the wheel well closest to you, you will see a semi-circular repair. The explanation for this accompanies the last pic. Note that the leading edge seams on the wings need significant smoothing with the joints forming a near flat face rather than an aerodynamic curve

16051603.jpg

Back up on top, you can see the step at the leading edge where it matches up to the fuselage. Only the port side has this.

16051604.jpg

And here's why the repair was needed. As you can probably guess, the Dremel that I was using to thin the plastic around the wheel well edges slipped and took a gouge out of the plastic. I rounded the gouge, CA-glued in a sliver of plastic cut from a piece of sprue and smoothed it all in.

16051605.jpg

Thanks for looking in and for tolerating the disjointed description.

FW 190 wing.jpg
Good stuff Andy, and easy to follow, despite the pic upload problems.
Have a look at this pic of the wing on the Cosford FW190A which may help - although aerodynamic, the leading edge is somewhat 'blunt'. Notice the almost vertical lines of the circular panel covering the empty gun position near the root.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back