1/48 Ta152H - Allied Advance and Defense of the Reich WWII.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I managed to get the scribing done in 1 hour snippets over the last two days. To do the access doors, I did not have a template of the right size and shape so decided to make my own from a beer can. I scaled up from what looked like a reasonably accurate profile in Hitchcock's book and drew the access door on the material cut from the can.

16060901.jpg

Next, I drilled holed in the corners, starting small and using progressively larger bit until I got to the edges. The holes were fine-tuned with a file.

16060902.jpg

Then I cut the remaining material out using an x-acto blade, made some marks for placement, and taped the template to the model.

16060903.jpg

The access door was completed and then all the other little details were added around it using scribing templates that I have. This picture was taken after sanding down the edges and a bit of touch up will be needed on this wing.

16060904.jpg

The other wing turned out a bit better.

16060905.jpg

With that now done, except for a bit of touch-up, I can get on with the painting, but not til Sunday.

Thanks all. So with a busy weekend behind me, I did manage to get a bit of work done on this model yesterday. The white 7's were proportioned from photos and a profile in Hitchcock's book and cut with a scalpel from bits of wide Tamiya tape. After painting the numbered areas white, I applied the masks over top. In addition, I masked the yellow band of JG301's distinctive ID pattern and applied the red. Once that was dry, I applied Tamiya tape over the red band and resprayed the whole area with a slightly lighter shade of 76. I then kept going, spraying over the rest of the 76 surfaces with the lighter mix to get a more weathered appearance that is slightly evident in the photo of the now finished scribed access panel.

16061301.jpg
16061302.jpg
16061303.jpg

With that now done, I'm ready to apply the bright green 82, duly noting that the scheme on the fuselage seems to be non-standard. All colour profiles I've seen of Ta152s as well as the standard scheme called up in Ullmann show the darker 83 splinter surrounding the cockpit and also appearing on the nose whereas the picture of the junked White 7 below has the pattern reversed. The wings, however, appear to have the standard splinter scheme.

Capture.JPG

Unless anyone disagrees, I'm going to duplicate the pic scheme as it seems pretty clear that the cockpit area is within the lighter colour.

Looks to me like a very-well defined splinter of 83 above the supercharger intake.

Anyway, before squirting the greens, I wanted to get the windscreen in place as I don't like gluing these on after painting. Good thing I checked. The kit supplied windscreen is way too narrow. Take a look at the ledge under the side panel in this pic, same on both sides:

16061501.jpg

I rummaged around in my spares and tried on an extra windscreen from an Eduard Fw190 and it fit like a glove.

16061502.jpg

Though the 190 frame is slightly different, I went with it anyway as the fit was the bigger priority. I also cut off the cowl hinges from the Dragon part and glued them on, though in retrospect I'm beginning to doubt that they were there on the Ta152. Need to check my references and cut them off if it turns out they are not there.

16061503.jpg

I then blew on some RLM66 to get the frame colours looking right from the inside.

16061504.jpg
16061505.jpg

Will check on those hinges now before going further. If anyone knows for sure, let me know.

Thanks guys. So I know the cowl was hinged at that point as there is a blurry pic in Hitchcock's book with the cowl leaning back on the canopy. However I have not seen any clear pics from above that show the hinge configuration. Seems the ZM kits don't have hinges at that location and plan view drawings don't show any either. I think at the very least I will reduce the size of what I've done there as they seem too big.

The NASM Ta 152 has an intact windscreen but I can't seem to find any good views of that front edge.

TA152_5.jpg

Ta152_H-0_Fuselage_2.jpg

DSCN0309.jpg

FWIW... the Z-M kit molded those hinges on the rear edge of the engine cowling as opposed to the front edge of the windscreen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back