1/48 Tamiya Bf-109E4/7 (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

dneid

Staff Sergeant
Oct 31, 2012
Austin, TX
Hey, All,
While this is technically not a start to finish build, it is something I wanted to post. I started this kit many years ago. It was/is my 1st attempt with PE. I focused mostly on the cockpit with the PE. I decided to finish this one while waiting for the next GB to get started. The first few pics are the condition of the model after pulling her out of the box.

OOB:
CockpitCloseUpOldPic2.JPG

CockpitOldPic.JPG

CockpitOldPic1.JPG

IPCloseUpOldPic.JPG

The next few pics are of the work I have done since pulling the kit out. Got the fuse band laid down with a bit of preshading.
PreShading1.JPG

PreShadingBelly.JPG

PreShadingFuseBand.JPG

Thanks for looking in.
Dale

Hey, Andy,
I am going to do the tropical scheme with the kit decals. I have always liked those tropical schemes. Any issues I need to know about in advance that you may be aware of?

Hey, Andy,
I am going to do the tropical scheme with the kit decals. I have always liked those tropical schemes. Any issues I need to know about in advance that you may be aware of?

Looks too late but I found that the Tamiya E has too much of a wing dihedral if you try to close the gap between the fuselage and top of the wings. Fix would have een either to slide a spacer into the fuselage to widen it at the bottom or to stick plastic card o the gap. Not worth changing now though as the surgery can be difficult.

Hey, Guys,
I did start painting in fits and starts. Had a stumble resulting in a couple of "spits" from the airbrush. So, a day with some brake fluid and she is stripped. A quick wash with hot water and soap and I started back on painting. I need to post a couple of pics for you all.
Andy, I took a good look at the dihedral after reading your post. I do believe you are correct there. And, you are correct as well that going back now would be a major undertaking. My goal with this one is to get a Luftwaffe bird on the display shelf. I went back to the dora originally and just ran into more fit issues than I was up to dealing with. Once the 109 is done, I will go back to the Dora with the goal of knocking out issues one at time as time between GBs allow.

Hey, Guys,
Well, I took on Wayne's challenge and tried the Sand over Hellblau (sp?) freehanding it. Not at all perfect, but I was quite surprised that I pulled off what I did. I thinned the paint (Model Masters enamel) to about 40% and used about 8PSI of air pressure and a damned light touch on the control valve to get this done. Man, am I glad I bought the Talon handle for my MILLENNIUM. That handle allows me to lock in the max paint the brush can throw to a minimum rather nicely. All in all, I am pleased with the results. I will go back and touch up the miss just below the cockpit on the left side and maybe try to establish a cleaner demarcation as well.

Charles, thank you for making this a sticky.

Pics:
LftSideSandOverBlue.JPG
RgtSideSandOverBlue.JPG
TopSandOverBlue.JPG

Last edited:
Mix a real thinned blue and carefully run it along a line just below the brown and then carefully work up to the edge of the brown not too close so you don't create overspray on the brown but blend the bit of brown overspray on the blue. This will tidy it up nicely if you get your more thinned mix right.

Not a bad effort though!

Ok, I have the basic final paint on. not perfect, but I am learning the mix/pressure thing. All green was applied freehand.

InitialPaintAft.JPG
InitialPaintBelly.JPG
InitialPaintFront.JPG
InitialPaintLft.JPG
InitialPaintRgt.JPG

I am going to go back and do a little touch up with a brush (I use a technique I once heard called damp dry brushing) to clean up a couple of areas on the fuse and a tad on the wings. After that, let the enamel cure over night and then start in with the future.

Thanks for looking in.

Last edited:
Thanks, guys. I need to spend some more time practicing with the airbrush and thinning and air pressure settings.

I got a couple of coats of future on yesterday and last night. I will start decaling later today. More pics to come.

Well, I ran into a problem with shooting MM Acrylic Flat on the bird after decals. I did the undersides 1st and set it aside to allow it to dry. What occurred was a very crinkled finish. So, I have stripped off the crinkle with windex and to my surprise off came the paint as well. So, I am placing this one aside for a day or two to think about how best to proceed. Looks like I will need to repaint the undersides and go from there. Any one ever have any problems with shooting Model Masters Flat clear (acrylic) over future?
Dale

Can't help Dale. I brush paint Tamiya flat over Future with no problems. Topside looks great for your first attempt. Still trying to get myself built up to use an airbrush.

Geo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back