1/48 Tamiya F4U1 Corsair

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Here's a picture of the Vintage Wings Corsair I took 3 years back I believe:

4525534523_e3796d4268_b.jpg

It might be a LITTLE off but I wouldn't be concerned. I think what's throwing us a bit are the two "bumps" on top of the prop housing (excuse my lack of technical terms, I know history, not tech! :lol: :oops:) are indeed fairly high in the real thing.

If anyone's interested here are a good bulk of the photos I took there. This isn't all of them, I just have forgotten to upload the rest.

Flickr: CoryUlmer's Photostream

Yep, the engine is very slightly off-centre, to the left as viewed, and slightly high. Before you finish the cowling, just check how it looks with the prop in place, as this might accentuate the look. Better to check now before being committed to leaving it.

Guys,

Thanks for the feedback on the engine. Unlike the Tamiya Engine the Verlinden one has no guides to insure the engine lines up properly. One has to eyeball it in place and since it is resin and requires CA glue to hold the two sections together once it is glued it pretty much stays where it is. So despite it being very slightly off center I am going to stick with it as it looks fine with the prop on.

Cheers for now.
Dave.

A tip I read a long time ago was attaching a thin, realy thin sheet of styrene, or thinned down piece of sprue to the resin piece. This way one can apply regular cement and position the part before it dries?

A tip I read a long time ago was attaching a thin, realy thin sheet of styrene, or thinned down piece of sprue to the resin piece. This way one can apply regular cement and position the part before it dries?

Thanks very much for checking in on the build and posting your comments and suggestions.

I like your idea of using a piece of styrene. I will have to remember this for the future.

Progress Update. i got the wings on and base coat. I lightened both the Intermediate and non-specular sea blue for scale effect and to give a faded appearance.
Here are some shots. I still need to to some touch ups on the flaps exhausts etc. After that I am going to add the decals and do the weathering. The basecoat was done with my Iwata Airbrush with a .35mm needle.
I then used my Badger AB with a .20mm needle to the fine detail work where the two colours meet. This required multiple alternating passes with the AB in which I sprayed one colour then the other then back to the first colour and so on. This is quite time consuming but I think it gives a nice tight demarcation between the two colours with the end result being very little to no overspray between the two colours. No masks were used and it was done completely freehand.

IMG_7907a800.JPG

IMG_7909a800.JPG

IMG_7912a800.JPG

IMG_7914a800.JPG

IMG_7915a800.JPG

IMG_7920a800.JPG

IMG_7921a800.JPG

IMG_7910a800.JPG

View attachment 191061
IMG_7922a800.JPG

Last edited:
The engine does look slightly off centre - to the left and high a bit - as Airframes and Wayne Little obeserved - but hey, as they and everyone else has said, that's one hell of a finish you've got going there. Very good work indeed, particularily the sublety on the demarmarcation. I must practice that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back