1/48 Tamiya FW190D-9 White 11 of IV/JG51

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks Darry. I have a few more subjects in the stash that will further the debate.

Wojtek, I'm on it!

Got a bunch of things done on this build today starting with the cockpit which was completed as shown below.

12121501.jpg

12121502.jpg

The shoulder belts will go in later. The cockpit would have gone in easily from underneath had the resin stuff not gone in. As it turned out, I needed to cut the firewall and the front of the pit back all the way to the pedals to get it to fit in. After the pit was installed, I glued the lower wing half onto the model.

12121503.jpg

Next I decided to work on the spinner. One of the knocks against the Tamiya kit is that the spinner is much too small. Here's a pic of the Tamiya spinner next to an extra one that was included in my Eduard kit The Eduard one is for the D-11/13 which shares a tree with the D-9 kit and this one has the hole for the engine mounted cannon.

12121504.jpg

To plug the hole, a piece of tapered stretched sprue was glued in, sawn off and sanded smooth.

12121505.jpg

12121506.jpg

The Eduard spinner was also slightly larger in diameter and it did not come with an extra back plate so I had to make do with the Tamiya plate. To increase its diameter, I wound a piece of card around it, CA glued it in place, and filed it flush. The second pic shows the dry-fitted assembly.

12121507.jpg

12121508.jpg

Next it was on to the nose section. Although another criticism of the Tamiya kit is that the nose cowl is too cylindrical to accurately replicate the more bulbous real thing, I decided that this wasn't that big a deal and not worth waiting to get a replacement resin piece. I selected the piece with the open cowl flaps so one can peer inside to the back of the rad. The radiator was painted steel and given a wash of black oil paint on the front and back. On the inner piece, I installed the return hose which will be inserted into a hole drilled in the front of the fuselage.

12121509.jpg

12121510.jpg

In the following pic, you can see that I drilled out the MG131 barrels. The small bulge on the lower seam of the gun cowl is accurate for later built D-9's but photos of White 11 show these not to be present so the next step will be to remove these and create some smaller bulges further back and centrally on the cowl.

12121511.jpg

That's it for now. Thanks for looking in.

Thanks very much guys. Onwards....

To complete the nose section, I drilled small holes in the rad louvers, installed actuators made of stretched sprue and then glued the finished assembly to the fuselage.

12121601.jpg

12121602.jpg

12121603.jpg

On the underside, I had to fix a slight misalignment of the fuselage halves with a bit of filler. This area was rescribed after sanding smooth. Note the two drain holes drilled in the starboard lower cowl.

12121604.jpg

Finally, compare the following shot with the last pic in my previous post. The bulges on both sides of the MG131 covers near the bottom were removed and the seam between the cover and fuselage was rescribed. Also, small bulges near the back of the cover were added with a drop of CA glue. The hole on the top of the cowl is for the starter crank and this was drilled out.

12121605.jpg

This area may need a bit more adjustment after I check out how it looks with a primer sprayed on.

Last edited:
Appreciate it guys.

Wayne, can you suggest some formulations for mixing Tamiya colours for 76, 81, 82, and 83? Oh and 70.

Thanks guys. Wayne, I like the colours you did on your Ta 152 if you recall the ratios. Read over it again and now know that you use XF-67 for the RLM 82.

Last edited:
When I looked at the crash pad around the cockpit rim as supplied by Tamiya, I wasn't happy with it so I decided to make my own. As the following sequence of photos shows, after removing the rim, I rolled some Milliput into a long worm and carefully applied it to the rim of the instrument shroud. Once it was cured, I made sure it would stick by applying a dab of thin CA glue along the seam with the plastic.

12122101.jpg

12122102.jpg

12122103.jpg

A bit of thick CA was applied to fill in in a few unwanted grooves in the pad then the whole thing was painted a leather brown. Here is the finished instrument area with the gun sight also installed. The reflector is a scratch add-on replacing the thick clear piece provided with the kit.

12122104.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back