1/48th Mitchell II - Allied Advance and Defense of the Reich WWII.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Well Terry, it looks like I might be of help to you perhaps. It just so happens that there is what might be a B25J at the Cavanaugh museum 25 minutes from my home. When I was last there, I took a few detail photos. I'll try to send them later if you like. :)

Thanks Steph, and thanks Bill. I have the SS Walk Around B-25 book, and some detail shots, including interior pics, of the only airworthy, ex -RAF/RCAF B-25C Mitchell II, taken when it arrived in the UK in 1997 (now back in the USA), but extra shots are always worthwhile.
What I can't find are wartime interior shots of a RAF Mk.II, showing the radio fit.

1.jpg
2.jpg
Not sure if these will help Terry.

That's great stuff Paul !
Looks like the radios were in the same location as in the 'J' model, more or less, and allowing for the waist windows of the late 'D' model, although the later 'J's at least, had radios moved to the entrance well, beside the top turret
I had some vague info about the radios being in a similar location, in the forward section, behind the flight deck, on RAF aircraft, although no definite proof or pics, and wondered if British equipment had been fitted.
Having done a bit more digging, it looks like it's very possible that American equipment was retained, although perhaps adapted as needed, as it was in 2 Group Mosquitos, and descriptions of RAF crew positions and duties seem to bear this out at least partially.
Allowing for the amount of detail that will be seen (or not, as the case might be), I think I'll go with that arrangement for the model.

Just been looking at the arrangement again, and the parallel waist windows on the late 'D' models would be right in line with the liaison radio tuning units !
When I built a 'C' model Mitchell II, I remember fitting a 'British' radio in the nav compartment, on the starboard side, behind the cockpit, working from references I had at the time. As the radio won't fit in the waist area, due to the gunner's windows, I think I'll have to use what could possibly be artistic (modeller's) licence, and do the same on this model - when I eventually get to the construction stage, that is !
If I can stay awake, I'm going to make a start on measuring and drawing the templates for the internal bulkheads, and maybe get that tail gun cupola built and blended into the tail plane sections. Can hardly keep my eyes open at the moment for some reason.
I'll post pics just as soon as there's something to show.

Paul, that's brilliant my friend !
The first pic hows the re-positioned radio and associated tuning/remote sets, moved from the rear fuselage section.
The arrangement of the American radios fits-in with my memory of the diagram (in a book or magazine, title since lost in the sands of time!) I used for the Mitchell II build 25+ years ago, showing the British radios in a similar position, and also fits with the memories of the nav compartment in the Fighter Collection's B-25C back in 1988.
I used a 'compact' 35mm camera for the interior shots at the time, using the built-in flash, and the shot to the rear of the compartment failed, due to flash 'bounce' off the semi-gloss painted walls and bulkhead.
I can use those pics not only to get the basic shape and details scratch-built, but also to help position the British radios, in what I hope will be a reasonably accurate arrangement, good enough for what can be seen through the canopy.
Many thanks again for your help Paul !

Thanks guys and your welcome Terry. Anything else you need let me know and will try and find it. Goes for any one else out there as well :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back