1/700 DML Tarantul I "Indian Veer" (Tarantul V)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Rogi

Master Sergeant
Aug 1, 2011
I think my last couple builds started an obsession with 1/700, during the past couple months its been exclusively 1/700 (ships, vehicles, aircraft :O ) but here I present to you gentlemen and ladies my recent work. Let's start with a little history on the class,

The Tarantul class was made in the 1970s in order to replace the ageing Osa Missile Boats. The Tarantul was a longer and more capable vessel in terms of offensive and defensive capabilities. Armed with one 76mm Ak-176 and 2 30mm AK-630 along with 4 P15 Termit anti ship missiles (or P-270 Moskits or Uran anti ship missiles depending on the variant). The different variants were categorized by different weapons, radar systems or propulsion systems and NATO designations ranged from Tarantul I up to Tarantual V. Russian designation is Project 1241.1 up to Project 1242.1/1241.8

India was interested in the corvette and secured a deal to produce their own Tarantuls, most of the ships were made as the Project 1241.RE (NATO: Tarantul-I) (alexport version of the Tarantul) but two of the class were built in the 1241.8 (NATO: Tarantul V) specification with some important changes, first the 76mm AK-176 was changed for a 76mm OTO Melara, and the Termits were replaced by Urans. The radar was changed to the MR 352 Positiv-E radar.

Photos with the highlighted changes, Indian Tarantul I (INS-Veer K40)
INS_Veer.jpg

with the highlighted changes:
R1.jpg

and the Tarantul V (INS Pralaya K91), the vessel I chose to portray:
PLAN.jpg

and differences to Tarantul I highlighted:
R2.jpg

There are some other small additions and differences that will be addressed as the build goes along, the next post will be the first steps and demonstration of the progress so far, thank you all for looking and any comments :)

The layout of the Tarantul in the 1/700 Soviet Missile Craft group, itself isn't bad and has the shape we need, there are some fixes that need to be done with care, since the Indian Veer has a different shape to the superstructure/wheelhouse and a very strange section on the top of the ship that needs putty, it just screams classic 90s DML kit :) good but not as great as the new offerings, the major benefit to the kit is that it includes 2 Tarantuls, 2 Osa Class missile boats (will be reviewed in a different build), 2 Iranian Gunboats and 2 MD-500E Helicopters. So much fun building these (or not building them and having them on the shelf, modellers choice :) hehe)

On to the Tarantul I, the major issue is the superstructure which needs putty and some cutting and shaving to get the shape of even a Tarantul I correct, please observe the pictures for clarification:
1.jpg

and
2.jpg

When comparing these shots to the real vessel we can notice the differences:
INS_Veer.jpg

k-40_veer01.jpg

and even more so when compared to the Tarantul V:
k-92_veer_prabal01.jpg

This means these areas need to be adjusted:
Gold/Yellow - Editing and filling.
Blue - changing the shape and putting.
Orange - filling.
1plan.jpg

After a good month of work on her, she was at this stage last month, a new update as soon as my putty dries.
2.jpg

Thanks all for the kind words, its nice to be back again and posting a bit, its tough with school but I'm going for slow and steady (and consistent) this time.

Progress so far, upper superstructure almost complete, the turret ring was filled in as the OTO 76mm never had the same design as the AK for the turret ring.

AK, for a Tarantul I, the turret ring is the same as the kit:
3.jpg

While the Tarantul V has a smooth turret ring:
4.jpg

superstructure puttied along with the turret ring.

1.jpg
2.jpg

Thank you all so much :)
For parsifal.
Here is the original kit, 1/700 Soviet Missile Craft as is classic 90s Dragon lots of seam fixing hehe
19A05657-ADEB-4664-A467-271FB2242985.jpeg

Rear also doubling as the instructions, lots of extra 2 Tarantuls, 2 OSA (I and II), 2 Iranian gunboats, 2 MD-500E it says mh-6 but the details look more like the standard 500E. I'll update the build soon :)
3D4C73CD-97B7-4E1C-9D9A-29A03431A0E9.jpeg

It is an interesting project and will have several modifications; is a good start and I'm happy to see you again Igor, now with this ship.
The process will be very interesting and even more so on a small scale.
(BTW, you have great pictures !!)

Saludos :thumbup:

Thank you all my friends for the wonderful comments :) I'm happy to see that the core group on the forum has stayed and built together throughout all these years, your builds give me a lot of hope and enjoyment :)

The next step in the process is the front superstructure housing, circled here,
Tarantul I is smooth and very little modification is needed if left in this configuration
01.jpg

While Tarantul V has a modification on the front superstructure that causes it to protrude out of the structure:
02.jpg

Progress so far, I Milliputted the section and although I like the result I think I may edit it a bit further now that I have the basic shape down,
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg

The space between the turret ring and the front superstructure isn't there yet (too long inbetween) and some curves will need to be eliminated to bring it up to the proper front superstructure as in the Tarantul V.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back