1/72 Academy F6F-3 Hellcat (USS Princeton) (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

wingnutz

Airman 1st Class
Apr 20, 2007
Singapore
Hey folks,

This is the second installment of my "Battle of Leyte Gulf" builds. It's a 1/72 Academy F6F-3 Hellcat kit, finished in the navy tri-color scheme during WW2 in the Pacific. This particular aircraft depicts the mount of Lt. William E. Lamb, VF-27, USS Princeton, circa October 1944, which shows the "Cat Mouth" nose art of the VF-27 squadron.

hellcat_01-1.jpg

hellcat_02-1.jpg

hellcat_09-1.jpg

hellcat_10-1.jpg

hellcat_11-1.jpg

225321274_1a38581c8a.jpg

dsc08812ao3.jpg

Colors were Gunze acrylics, weathering with a combination of airbrushed and Mr Hobby pastels, decals were from the kit itself. A flat coat to finish it off. Aerials were nylon invisible yarn.

The centerline tank straps were replaced with aluminum strips, while the .50 cal guns were replaced with brass pipes. The engine cowling flaps were also cut to allow for these to be opened more.

Hope you folks like this weathered project as much I enjoyed building it...

Last edited:
great job!... it's tough to get the weathering right.

very cool and awesome subject matter

It looks great and resembles a 1/48th scale kit rather than a 1/72nd... Top notch work...

U really should try and join our PTO Group Build with ur next installment...

thanks, i would be happy to join the PTO GB...next up would be the bombers...

She's a mean bird mate, love the blood shot eyes and teeth. Must have had a bad night!

Very nicely done Wingnutz, that it is a superb effort in 1/72nd. Very nice indeed. Jim

I like that Hellcat! "Cat Mouth" Excellent!:D

All the best!
Dusan:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back