1/72 Academy P47 Thundabolt!

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Maglar

Tech Sergeant
Jan 29, 2009
Florida
Finally finished it! No lies, it was a hell trip and back. Many coats of Alclad because of missed "gap" areas and having to sand and such issues like that. The tail wing red stripe decals were a pain in the butt then ripped so I chucked them and realized I couldnt mask a line because the number decal would lift, I think its just without em anyway. I tried the panel "pencil" technique and it worked great, didnt put the rockets on the bottom, just wanted the fuel tank and bombs. The other decals were ok, the chief head gave me a lot of fits and as you all can see I made it curves to the cowl and fuselage perfectly. For the landing gear and fuel tank and such i used a different shade of alclad for contrast, nothing too extreme past that. Anyways, good stuff! [Back to the P61!]

Attachments

• DSC_0069.JPG
    DSC_0069.JPG
    127.3 KB · Views: 193
  • DSC_0070.JPG
    DSC_0070.JPG
    115.3 KB · Views: 198
  • DSC_0071.JPG
    DSC_0071.JPG
    127.1 KB · Views: 195
  • DSC_0072.JPG
    DSC_0072.JPG
    122.9 KB · Views: 202
  • DSC_0073.JPG
    DSC_0073.JPG
    115.6 KB · Views: 188
  • DSC_0066.JPG
    DSC_0066.JPG
    105.2 KB · Views: 198
  • DSC_0067.JPG
    DSC_0067.JPG
    133.9 KB · Views: 199
  • DSC_0068.JPG
    DSC_0068.JPG
    135 KB · Views: 189
Last edited:
I'm sure one of the guys here could give a valid explanation but the instructions said to do it for the decaling page.. :|

Nice job Mag!
In the ETO, the P47 carried a Star and Bar, oversized, beneath each wing, unlike other U.S. aircraft. The reason was to aid in identity, particularly to allied ground forces, in order to avoid, or lessen, the risk of the aircraft being mistaken for a FW190, due to its radial engine. OK, the wing-plan is different, but in a fleeting moment, particularly at certain angles, and perhaps in silhouette, the P47 did look remarkably like a '190.
When the R.A.F.'s Typhoon first entered service, similar precautions were enforced, in the form of stripes around the wings as, in silhouette, the 'Tiffie' really did look very like a 'Wurger'.

Nice job Mag!
When the R.A.F.'s Typhoon first entered service, similar precautions were enforced, in the form of stripes around the wings as, in silhouette, the 'Tiffie' really did look very like a 'Wurger'.

First they painted the nose entirely white, but pilots felt it drew more fire than it averted! Later the white wing bands were adopted, the White being wider and Black thinner in width than those of the later D-day type bands.

Yes, the kit came with the RAF option and decals, I have the white stripes in the box..

Thanks Matt, I think the bottom application looks way better then the top. In the pics it looks as if I got dust and crud particles stuck into the paint job, I need to stop airbrushing Alclad in my garage!!

Me too DB, its the reason I bought the kit! Never thought I would purchase something off a single decal but I did.. :)

Its far from perfect Welch, i'm sure you could get the same result blind-folded! You never know till you try.. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back