1/72 Bf 109E-4 - Your Favorite Aircraft of All Time GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

So far just shading the canopy a bit with darker greys then a lighter grey on top of the main color, since the aircraft looks like its taken a beating from the outside I might do some paint chipping on the inside to match the whole vibe.

Cockpit assembly
RSCN3756.jpg

Fuselage with a bit of a greener grey added to it, later on I'll whipe lightly with a rag + thined down thiner.
RSCN3753.jpg

Finally Wings whiped with thiner, the only thing that remains is the outline of the wash.Before
DSCN3743.jpg

and After (been too lazy to post these in the last couple days)
DSCN3747.jpg

Today was a early morning and I wanted to make good work of it, I had applied Putty over night, let it dry and sanded. I checked my sanding with some silver paint to see if the putty was visible, fortunatley everything looked good, so I did re-scribing and another wipe with Thiner and washed a bit. Shes almost ready to be put together with the fuselage.
I added a bit of chiping to the Landing gear bay. I won't weather this section too much. Just a tad of the green and a wipe, maybe a little darker hue later on to match everything else and it'll be good.

RSCN3793.jpg

Last edited:
Looking good. But these small pieces ( plastic plates) in these bays next to the main landing gear slots aren't needed at all. There could be seen wheel legs when landing gear retracted.

Good work so far, although slightly puzzled why the painting/shading has been done before the main assembly is complete. If any filler is needed, it'll then need re-painting.

Good work mate, though echo Wojtek's (Wurger) and Terry's (Airframes) comments.

Btw, what areas needed filling? Have the same kit in the stash.

The "plastic plates" you guys are mentioning are they next to the circular objects? I filled the holes in the bomb rack section that the previous owner of the kit had attached the bomb rack, so I yanked it off with a Xacto and placed filler to cover the gaps. I mostly shaded it before hand so I could check the re-scribing work on the bottom of the aircraft. Most of it vanishes anyway after painting the bottom :D I'm very nervous when it comes to scribing and I like to "double check" the work. New step coming up.

Oh A4K Just a addition to the putty, I've dry fitted the fuselage to the wings a couple times and it looks like a perfect match so not a lot of putty will be needed (if any) to the aircraft. I'll have some new steps up today.

Wurger's refering to the very tops of the 109's landing gear covers. When the gear is in the retracted position, you can still see a "square" of the main gear retraction knuckle.

Igor, here you are the diagram and a pic that might help you to grasp what I meant. The last one image posted here shows undersides of Bf109F but the areas are almost the same looking like.

Attachments

• RSCN3793b.jpg
    RSCN3793b.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 127
  • RSCN3793c.jpg
    RSCN3793c.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 120
  • RSCN3793d.jpg
    RSCN3793d.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 122
ohh I got it now :D, fortunatley I don't usually pose the gear retracted so I don't think that will effect the landing gear this time :) I just wanted to know for sure in case I made a BoB Diorama or some aerial battle with the Bf-109, ty Wurger for clarifying :)

Only thing is, if you do make a wheels up 109, the hole can look wrong. I cut out the mounting hole and install a couple of pieces of sprue to replicate the "knuckle".

This last week and this week have been frustrating, first with the instrument panel not being able to come off like I wanted it (its 1/72 so the paint blobs up easy and makes it look messy if you arn't careful) I spent 8 trys to get it right, then today as I'm taking the photos my camera is turning out the pictures darker than usual :( I'll post the update and try to fix her by next build update its just uber frustrating when nothings really going on top of each other :D

To start it off on a lighter note, my new airbrush came in :D Badger 155 yay :D I've been working with a China style badger 150 for a long time and through all the research on the net the 155 looks like a sturdy excellent Brush, can't wait to try her on this bf-109 :D
DSCN3817.jpg

Next the instrument panel thats been agrivating me for 2 weeks now :D she came out great but the picture is odd with it turning out darker than whats displayed on my camera preview image :S you can't even see some of the reds and one of the green panels, fix that by next week hopefully and most likely re-take the shots. P.S. I also drilled in some tiny holes to the pedals in the cockpit so it gives it a more realistic look to the actual planes pedals.

http://shockwaveproductions.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5132 this site from a game has some good section screen shorts of the cockpit of the E-4, I used it along with some other pics from various other E-4 models to make my instrument panel. I'll add the wires connecting the pedals to the intrument panel in the next update.

RSCN3886.jpg

Canopy, unfortunatley you don't get a option of posing the canopy open so I'll have to pose it closed :( spent most of this week just preping the canopy for paint, its agrivating :D but great when you finially get the hardest part finished :)
RSCN3888.jpg

Borth parts of the fuselage section with some touch ups of paint I may add some black to highlight the wheel just to make it stand out a bit. + wiring to give it a bit of flare, hopefully it'll all fit well when i go to glue the two sections together. Again you can't see the red in the image for some reason *sigh* have to take a look about what the cause of the issue might be. The blotch on one of the fuselage sections is where I'll attach the center canopy section its sort of a guide I like to use where to strip the paint after what point so I can insert the glue np.

RSCN3891.jpg

RSCN3874.jpg

Last bit, the cockpit center section with the chair. I kinda liked the Tamiya decal for the seatbelts so I used it, they always sit down nicely and on a closed canopy model no one really notices the diffrence. The brown and reds in the pic are also not appearing.
RSCN3896.jpg

RSCN3900.jpg

Sorry all but most of the details and colors are almost faded into black in these pics even when I took the photos in pure daylight. I'll have to see whats up with the camera maybe shes low on battery and give it a good charge.

Thanks for checking it out

Igor :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back