1/72 Bf 109E-4 - Your Favorite Aircraft of All Time GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Looking good so far. You could cut the rear section off the canopy, to pose it open, using a razor saw if you have one, or even careful, continuous scoring with a scalpel blade. Once separated, carefully thin the inner edges.

Looking good Igor. I think what you are seeing with your camera is that the coins are tending to make the exposure settings compensate for a brighter subject when in fact it's your dark panel that you want to highlight. The gray background is a good one but try a pic without the coins or, if you can adjust your settings, either decrease the speed a bit or open up the F stop.

I checked the manual of my camera and I found that if you engage macro it isn't fully engaged, you have to engage a "close up" shooting section, mine was in auto so it was basicly shooting at a 1/2 macro thing, with this "close up" shooting engaged it shoots in full macro like my biger camera does in standard macro :S *sigh* oh the technology re-took some shots. I also rembered that I futured the cockpit instrument panel in case I wanted to try decals on the panel, I forgot about that when shooting with the camera, it could give off a glare because of the future on the grey area?

So just re-took 2 shots for now of the cockpit center section:

RSCN3912.jpg

RSCN3914.jpg

I think it turned out much better you can actually see the colors in the shots now :D

Chears,

Igor

BF-109E4Romania653.png

I was going over my canopy masking job and noticed this in the picture (highlighted around in red), what is this section of the cockpit and is it painted at all? I've noticed on some 109s its painted and a thick rib, on others its thin and barely there in the photos of the same model varients.

It seems to be one precise color, or lack of color, and on the model's canopy it does not seem to be worn out paint to me (since the rest of the canopy should have been worn out too if so?) On the model's canopy its just a thin sticky line on both sides of the canopy, should I paint it or leave it be?

Post 520 is amazing :D So verdict on color maybe not green, maybe just a "smoke" color so it can imitate the 2 "plexi" style panels one on top of the other?

Depends on the scale. In 1/72nd and 1/48th scale, an engraved line simulates the overlap. The central frame was only added from the 'G' onwards, as it has a heavier canopy. Some people get confused when refering to photos of the '109E in the RAF Museum, which is fitted with a later canopy from a 'G', presumably as the original was missing or damaged at the time of the restoration.

Do you guys recomend I accentuate the line I have on the canopy ? (I have 2 clear lines that run in the center of the canopy) By painting it a bit semi-matt or would you just leave it as is and not color it anything?

If there is a such line already moulded at the center of the canopy I would suggest letting it be as it is. To be honest the the line can be noticed on the real conopies becuse of the light , double thick galss and dirt/dust that was gathering at the area. So there is no problem with it . If you really want to accentuate the line I would suggest cutting off a thin ( it should be as narrow as the moulded line ) strip of the clear decal base and sticking it to the conopy internally ( inside of the conopy ). It should imitate the semi-matt lines quite good.

Wooo Here I am..Roche you like a Hurricane (Roche in french means Rock!) :D on a diffrent note, Roch sent over that canopy I needed for the FW-190 and it came today :D

DSCN3990.jpg

On the little box it says "May Contain Nuts" I love it :D hehehe

Now back to the intruement panel, I wiped it again and re-did it with the camera figured out heres the shot I got off, still needs a bit of works but its hard to pick out the dials even with a magnifying glass :D I'm happy on the results but I guess you can't have everything perfect.

RSCN3993.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back