<> 1:72 Corsair Mk.II - WW1 / WW2 over Water. (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

A4K

Colonel
Dec 17, 2007
The back of beyond
1:72 Corsair Mk.II – GB 33: WW.I /WW.II Over Water

User name: A4K
Name: Evan
Category: 2 – Intermediate
Type: Chance-Vought Corsair Mk.II
Subject: JT634, '137/P', 1834 Naval Air Squadron, FAA, aboard HMS Victorious, 1944
Scale: 1:72
Base kit: Hasegawa #00704: F4U-1A Corsair 'RNZAF'
Accessories: Falcon Clear Vax Canopy Set #1: US Navy WW.II Pt.I, Hawkeye Designs #HD125: Pratt & Whitney R-2800 engines, True Details #72065: F4U/F6F Wheels, Diamond Tread, True Details #72453: F4U-1A/1D Corsair Cockpit Detail Set, Xtradecal #X72209: USMC/FAA/RNZAF Corsairs.

Plus scratchbuilding.

Kicking off my Corsair run with an FAA bird, as chosen by Ivett. As well as fitting the 'WW.2 Over Water' theme , it is also the type I most associate with Cory, so a great choice by her.

Getting my stuff from Hungary in a month or so, so the rest of the run will begin when those kits arrive. These will be the RNZAF builds, including the Rukuhia diorama subjects, and will be posted in a thread (or threads) seperate from this GB.

Here's this kit and paint scheme in the meantime:

sta56527.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Good one Evan. I built a sister ship to yours a few years back in another GB: **** DONE: 1/48 Corsair II - Pacific Theatre of Operations II

There's a good discussion in that thread with Cory on the mods I needed to do and if you want to make this an accurate FAA bird, you'll need to consider clipping the wings, adding some small intakes on the fuselage sides, and adding a vent on the underside. Of course, you can make it a reasonably convincing machine without doing all that.

Cheers guys!

Andy, that thread will be brilliant - thanks! I do indeed want to make her as correct as possible. (So sad to think Cory's not here to join in this build :( )

Btw, is anyone else having trouble uploading pics? Tried to upload 3, only 1 showed up. Upoaded the other two after to find the first one changed to one of the ones I reuploaded. Weird...

Evan, I have edited your posts because the thread layout wasn't as it is required and we all had agreed. As a result I exchanged the two pics.
As far as the problem with uploading is concerned.. it might have happened because of soft that wasn't updates. As memo serves Geo had the same trouble. But now all works fine. Nobody else has reported that so it might be a local problem. Please check on your soft.

Dzieki Wojtku!

As far as the software is concerned, I have as much interest in that as I do in Nigerian politics, and about the same amount of understanding... What level/status of software do I need to upload pics properly?

Last edited:
I think updating of , the net browser and all its addons , e.g. Java and of course the Windows to their current versions. Just all depends on what you are running there

We have Windows (an appropriate name - that's where you want to throw the laptop half the time), and if seems to update itself, whether you want it to or not.
Atleast there's only a problem with pictures uploading - we haven't been able to access the forum on Ivett's smart phone at all since the server changed.

On the tablet at the moment my friend. If I have the same trouble again though I'll give you a shout.

Progress to date - parts coming off the sprues and getting cleaned up.

The white wheels are from a new tool Revell F4U-1A. Have a colour photo of FAA Corsair MK.II JT531, and these are the best match for her wheels treadwise and spoke detail-wise of any of the currently available kits. (Barracuda probably do a lovely set in resin though).

According to info found on the net, the FAA operated 510 Vought Corsair MK.II, JT195 - JT704. The first 360 (JT195 - JT534) were F4U-1A models, the last 150 (JT535 - JT704) F4U-1D, but all had framed canopies and the larger prop.
This would make JT531 an -A, and my subject, JT634 a -D, so need to find more photos to decide which type of tyre tread is correct.

Off to Hungary for 3 weeks, so next progress will be in march. Will finally be getting all my kits, decals, and info sent over! :)
This means I can start my Corsair run, including the Rukuhia dioramas, so Wayne - thanks mate! - I will definitely drop you a PM when I get back!

If I can get access to the net I'll drop in in between, but otherwise take care guys till I get back!

Attachments

• STA56547.JPG
    STA56547.JPG
    116.7 KB · Views: 198

Users who are viewing this thread

Back