1/72 DFS Kranich - Jet/Recon/Transport GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Make it a bottomless coffee Geo! :)

Progress so far...
Some extra details, and floor reinforced with Faller Expert liquid cement, as the plastic name card used dosen't like the kit styrene much. Lots of clean up work yet.

Pic 2 is a test fit of the drum only. Won't be glued at all in the end, for easier removal later should it prove the info regarding them is bogus (will convert it back to a standard trainer if so)

STA52516.JPG

STA52518.JPG

Last edited:
Certainly a tight fit Vic, and actually the removal would have been the easy part... must have been a b!tch loading her without damaging the aircraft!

As the aircraft were supposedly demolished with explosives by the tankies, I presume they either chopped the rear fuselages (light ply construction) to remove the drums , or left them in situ and simply siphoned the fuel out with hoses.

My own Plan B is to complete the drum, then cut it vertically with the razor saw, leaving only the visible section intact. Can then pop the canopy, cut the remaining section, and (theoretically) remove it ok should the need arise. (Hopefully won't need to though!)

Last edited:
Good stuff Evan. The troops would either remove the drums from the wreckage of the gliders or, if still intact, wreck the glider to remove the drums, and get them under cover of the trees where the vehicles were camouflaged. Re-fuelling would not be done in the open if at all possible.

Certainly a tight fit Vic, and actually the removal would have been the easy part... must have been a b!tch loading her without damaging the aircraft!

As the aircraft were supposedly demolished with explosives by the tankies, I presume they either chopped the rear fuselages (light ply construction) to remove the drums , or left them in situ and simply siphoned the fuel out with hoses.

My own Plan B is to complete the drum, then cut it vertically with the razor saw, leaving only the visible section intact. Can then pop the canopy, cut the remaining section, and (theoretically) remove it ok should the need arise. (Hopefully won't need to though!)

MUST have been desperate times!

Cheers Wayne, Terry and Vic, and thanks Terry - that does make sense! No idea of the terrain they were in, but no doubt it happened as you say if suitable tree cover was available.

Found a pic of a Kranich with an unusual extended rear canopy, revealing a rear shelf not visible in any other pics. So I added one, plus the elevators in dropped position as per photos.

Still working what appear to be cut outs for the rear seat harness straps on the shelf (sans straps for this one), plus the instrument panel frames and trough - you'll see what I mean soon.

STA52547.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back