1/72 Hawker Hurricane MkIIb, 232 RAF Squadron, 1942 (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

wingnutz

Airman 1st Class
Apr 20, 2007
Singapore
Here's my second build in this series, a Hawker Hurricane MkIIb of 232 RAF Squadron, in Sqdn Ldr Richard Brooker's BE 208 "O", February 1942.

hurricanenameplate_01copy.jpg

hurricane_wip_01copy.jpg

hurri_be208_a.jpg

hurri_be208_b.jpg

Did some detailing to make this Hurricane a MkIIb version from a MkI...

hurricane_wip_03copy.jpg

Nice work. A lot of modellers miss that oil trap flange behind the spinner.

subtle details sir...now if only someone can advice me on what color that spinner should be?

as RAF, RNZAF aircraft should have black spinners in this era, though i'm not sure if squadron leaders get to choose their spinner colors...

I'd guess it would be black. The use of coloured spinners wasn't very prevalent in that theatre of operations, and even in other theatres, it wasn't as common as many think. It tended to be more of a 'Flight' colour or, towards then end of the war in Europe, more of an 'instant recognition' feature, when aircarft were operating from temporary bases, mixed in with other units using the same type of aircraft.

I'd guess it would be black. The use of coloured spinners wasn't very prevalent in that theatre of operations, and even in other theatres, it wasn't as common as many think. It tended to be more of a 'Flight' colour or, towards then end of the war in Europe, more of an 'instant recognition' feature, when aircarft were operating from temporary bases, mixed in with other units using the same type of aircraft.

precisely, as this unit was actually mixed-up with RAAF and RNZAF squadrons during the conflict...

as kallang was already in range of the enemy's artillery and eventually all the remaining aircraft were moved to batavia...relegating the kallang airfield as a forward airstrip for emergencies...

In a book I have, called the RNZAF in South East Asia 1941-42, there is a photo
of one of the Hurricanes given as replacements to 488 Squadron
for Buffaloes lost through attrition or otherwise (too lttle too late)

The photo has neither a black or Sky spinner, possibley Dk Green or
even Dk Earth.

Regards

Alan

Probably a dumb question: The outer machine guns protude from the wing, where these covered with cloth also?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back