1/72 HP Halifax mk.II.1A and Hawker Hurricane mk.IID by Revell.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Looking good so far, although I presume you'll be filling-in some of the Halifax nose windows? Also, sounds like someone sent you the wrong decal sheet for the Dull Red codes.

Coming along great Pete and as the lads have said, way too neat. This is mine after a major clean. (Must remember to finish the Arrow in the near/far distant future)

001.JPG

Geo

Actually didn't have a plan for filling in windows. no idea which ones i need to? generally i like having glass in, i'm contemplating doing a He111 and an early wellington.

I've added the radiators today and carburetors, being resin superglue was needed. there really is a Yoda factor to superglue isn't there?
"do or do not, there is no try"

Well, as you've gone to the trouble of obtaining accurate engine nacelles/rads, there's not much point in doing this if the rest is going to be in-accurate!
The kit provides alternative nose parts for the different Marks, but I understand the instructions are not clear as to what parts are used where.
First, decide on which Squadron, which will tell you which Mark they flew, and when. As it's obviously going to have the one-piece glazed nose, then the rectangular windows of the nose-turret versions need to be filled in, as they were not present on later marks.
You should be left with the Navigator's and W/Op's windows on the port side (plus the small circular porthole right forward), and the starboard side cockpit window (porthole as before). All other windows need filling - and should have been planned and done before construction.

Well, as you've gone to the trouble of obtaining accurate engine nacelles/rads, there's not much point in doing this if the rest is going to be in-accurate!
The kit provides alternative nose parts for the different Marks, but I understand the instructions are not clear as to what parts are used where.
First, decide on which Squadron, which will tell you which Mark they flew, and when. As it's obviously going to have the one-piece glazed nose, then the rectangular windows of the nose-turret versions need to be filled in, as they were not present on later marks.
You should be left with the Navigator's and W/Op's windows on the port side (plus the small circular porthole right forward), and the starboard side cockpit window (porthole as before). All other windows need filling - and should have been planned and done before construction.

Do you know the windows just did not occur to me, hmm, right i'll set about sorting them :D i'm doing this as a pathfinder 35th sqn its a very late model MkII 1a so glazed nose, later boulton pauls, type XXII merlins and H2S dome.
i've seen some pics of 35sqn craft and they do indeed appear to be missing these rectangular windows, some of the smaller circular ones too. i'll fill these in methinks so its at least more accurate!
cheers.
pete

No problem. The MkII srs 1 had the remaining portholes, like the MkIII in my build shown in the 'Sticky' threads above. It also had the later 'rectangular' fins/rudders of course. Early production aircraft just had the windows 'plated' over, whilst later production onwards had the openings omitted altogether. There was also a small 'rear view' blister under the nose.
I'd copy and send you the scale plans shown in my build thread, but after more than thirty years, the dye-line prints have faded a bit, and probably won't scan very well.

Aye i think 2-3 max were available to this, what i'll do is fill them with Liquid green stuff, should go on fine and then sand smooth. they'll look like they are plated rather then omitted but i think its something i'll look for in future builds and plan accordingly.

thanks for the input :D
Pete

Users who are viewing this thread

Back