1/72 Hurricane Mk IV(RP) – Allied Manufactured Aircraft

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

imalko

Chief Master Sergeant
Mar 2, 2009
Vojvodina, Serbia
Username: imalko
First name: Igor
Category: Category 2/Intermediate
Scale: 1:72
Manufacturer: Revell
Model Type: Hawker Hurricane Mk IIC to be converted into Mk IV(RP)
Details: KX 800/T, No. 351 (Yugoslav) Squadron RAF, Prkos, Yugoslavia in April 1945
Decals: aftermarket decals by Lift here! (Limited edition kit decals made in Serbia)

Here are the pictures of the kit and the decals I will use. Old forum members may remember that I've built this same kit in one of my first Group Builds on this forum in which I participated. This time, however, I intend to convert the kit from Mk IIC into a MK IV(RP). For this purpose I'll use spare rockets and launchers from Academy Typhoon. Anything else that is needed for the conversion I'll build from scratch.

Attachments

• GB 25_001.jpg
    GB 25_001.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 235
  • GB 25_002.jpg
    GB 25_002.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 349
History of No. 351 (Yugoslav) Squadron RAF

Also known as "Druga eskadrila NOVJ" (2nd Squadron of National Liberation Army of Yugoslavia), the No. 351 (Y) Squadron RAF was formed on 1 July 1944 at Benina in Libya as third unit in RAF with flight and ground personnel of Yugoslav nationality. The other two units were Yugoslav "B" Flight of No. 94 Sqn RAF and No. 352 (Y) Sqn RAF, both equipped with Spitfires.
Upon its formation No. 351 (Y) Sqn was equipped with Hawker Hurricane Mk IICs in the fighter-bomber role. In September the squadron was re-equipped with Hawker Hurricane Mk IV(RP)s and moved to Cannae, Italy, where it joined No. 281 Wing RAF as part of Balkan Air Force (BAF).
According to the agreement between Allies and Yugoslav Partisans leader Josip Broz Tito, Yugoslav manned Squadrons within RAF were to be used only over Yugoslav territory in support of NOVJ operations against Axis forces. The squadron used an forward operating base on the island of Vis and from February 1945 was also able to make use of forward bases on the Yugoslav coast.
Squadron was organized by the war formation prescribed for mobile fighter squadron RAF, with two flights of 8 Hawker Hurricanes each. Flying and technical personnel consisted of airmen from the former Royal Yugoslav Air Force who joined NOVJ and staff from the First Air Base NOVJ. The first combat operation of the squadron was on 23 October 1944.
The first squadron commander was Captain Aleksandar Cenić, the commander of "A" flight was Lieutenant Stanislav Vouk and the commander of "B" flight was Captain Francis Jež. During the war the squadron lost 23 aircraft with 4 pilots killed in action, among them the squadron commander.
Over the course of nine months of the war, No. 351 (Y) Squadron RAF carried out 226 combat operations with 971 take offs. These tasks included supporting troops in Yugoslavia, fighter protection and reconnaissance. Cannae, Vis and Zemunik airfields were used.
On 5 April 1945 the whole squadron moved to what had been their forward base in Yugoslavia, airfield Prkos, from where it continued to operate until it was disbanded from RAF on 16 May 1945. On 18 May 1945 "Prvi vazduhoplovni lovački puk JA" (1st Fighter Regiment of Yugoslav Air Force) was formed from former No. 351 and No. 352 RAF Squadrons.

Attachments

• GB 25_003.jpg
    GB 25_003.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 210
  • GB 25_004.jpg
    GB 25_004.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 215
  • GB 25_005.jpg
    GB 25_005.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 192
  • GB 25_006.jpg
    GB 25_006.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 215
  • GB 25_007.jpg
    GB 25_007.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 230
Last surviving Hurricane Mk IV(RP) of No. 351 (Y) Sqn is now displayed at Aeronautical Museum in Belgrade. The photo of this Hurricane was taken during one of my visits there. No. 351 and 352 Yugoslav Squadrons were unique within RAF being only ones allowed to use National markings on their aircraft. This was not common practice in RAF as the other squadrons with foreign personnel (Polles, Czechs, etc) were only allowed to paint small National insignia on the nose or beneath the cockpit of their aircraft, but never to over-paint RAF roundel.

Attachments

• GB 25_011.jpg
    GB 25_011.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 173
I have a more or less good idea what is needed for this conversion; protective armor plate between wing undersides and rocket launchers and additional plates on the ventral radiator which gives it a more angular shape. However, I'm unsure about the exact look of the wing panel lines. Fixed armament being reduced to just two machine guns (one in each wing), the panel lines should be different then on the Mk II model.

Attachments

• GB 25_008.jpg
    GB 25_008.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 262
  • GB 25_009.jpg
    GB 25_009.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 250
  • GB 25_010.JPG
    GB 25_010.JPG
    42.2 KB · Views: 226
always thought it curious they only had the 2 machineguns

Users who are viewing this thread