1/48 RAF Mk.IA Mustang - Allied Manufactured Aircraft (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thank you JKim. Still trying to get the camera moved without destroying the mounting surface. I got the wings assembled and dry fit. The bottom surface and seams fit flawlessly. The upper wing joints.........................................don't. They don't have enough upward arc to fit. Sooooooo...............I have been shimming them and I'm slowly getting them to fit. My luck, once I get them to fit. The wing seam itself will fail due to too much stress.:lol:

Brooks, if by "not enough arc" you mean that the dihedral is too flat, then the proper fix would be to pull the dihedral to the proper angle before shimming. You can set it up like the pic below or loop some tape under each wintip and over the fuselage, pulling tightly until you get the right angle. This will reduce the gap and may even close it. I include a front view of the P-51B to assist.

13121502.jpg
Capture.JPG

Andy, it's not the the cross section arc, but the front to rear where the wing edge meets the fuselage. There is no gap, but the arc in the wing is not high enough to meet the arc of the mating surface on the fuselage. If that makes sense.

As I said... there is nothing wrong with attaching of the top halves of the wing firstly but the bottom part of the wing sets the proper dihedral and needs to be fitted to the fuselage before deciding to follow the way of assembling.

The golden rule .... " fit three times, glue once. "

Last edited:
Thank you Andy, and Wurger, that's exactly what I am attempting to do my friend. We will find out if it works or not. Or better yet..............that I do it properly.:lol:

Sorry I have not posted any photos. Not done much. But Andy, here's where my problem lies, and Don, I hope this helps you sir. I've got to find just a little more towards the front of the wing and the rear. Just a smidge in both areas and I will be a happy camper. And thank you for the help and the compliments.

Attachments

• IMG_2817 resized 25.jpg
    IMG_2817 resized 25.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 188
  • IMG_2818 resized 25.jpg
    IMG_2818 resized 25.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_2819 resized 25.jpg
    IMG_2819 resized 25.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 114
I had a little problem with right wing upper mating at the forward wing root. I had to cut the alignment pin and thenput on a masking tape tent. I hope I did ok.

Attachments

• A-36_23.jpg
    A-36_23.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 126
Looks like a little bit of fit interference Aaron - maybe a light shave along the inside surface of the wing root will help ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back