1/72 LANCASTER B.III (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

It is a great start. You have a great advice and counseling with our great experts :wav:. Congratulations and I will be aware of your progress.
Saludos cordiales amigo :thumbup:
Luis Carlos

Thanks guys. Pilots station done, fought quite a bit with the IP decal. Some small ejector marks dealt with.

001.JPG
004.JPG

Started painting the forward section of the fuselage and when that's dry, I'll pick out the various boxes. Also looking through my books for the navigators table. So far I've found one period photo with what looks like an unpainted aluminum top. There is a decal map provided but in all likelihood it won't be seen. I'm going to have to Future the small fuselage windows as they have to be installed before the halves get joined. A real pain in the keester for the later stages of the build and painting.

Geo

Found this while searching for tables...

Capture.JPG

Were the windows deleted or faired over for all Mk.IIIs. I have seen several photos as well but never paid attention to which Mark aircraft it was.

Geo

Looking good so far Geo.
Nav table was normally either Cockpit Grey Green, or matt black. The windows were deleted from mid production MkIII (probably all MkIIIs) and on late-production MkIs . Most earlier aircraft eventually had the windows painted over, but there were of course exceptions.
If your subject has the H2s blister, then the port cockpit side window should be plain, without the observation blister. The area between the nav table and the rear of the pilot's seat was occupied by the H2s equipment, on a swivel bracket, making access to the side window impossible, so the blister was deleted on this side.
Also, the small oval window above the nav desk was deleted,as the API and other instruments were mounted here.

Thanks Dr. Gnomey and great info.With the exception of the 3 forward fuselage windows, crazy glue em in and mud em over. Green table it is. Speaking of which, the parts...

002.JPG
003.JPG
006.JPG

...I don't know why I filled in the ejector mark, it will never be seen as it is covered by a decal of dials, which will never be seen. The cockpit area, needing some touchups and dials and switches. I really don't know how guys can super detail a fighter in this scale.

014.JPG

Geo

Thank you sir. A quick test runs shows the the bulkheads on the wing spars will need to be thinned a tad. The gap isn't as bad as the pic shows, more like the gap by my thumb...

015.JPG

...I'd remove them altogether but with the gap due to the large bomb bay, these add support. I've never used Clearfix before and as I had a bottle, I thought I would try it in case the forward windows didn't turn out. The largest is about 5.5mm, is this too large?

016.JPG

Untitled.jpg

Geo

Here is an image of the Avro Lancaster Mk.B III, LM577 'HA-Q' "Edith", of No. 218 Squadron on hardstanding No.30 at RAF Chedburgh, Suffolk. It reveals that the window for the compartment was quite large comparing to others of the fuselage.

Lancaster B III.jpg

Geo, if you mean can you make the window with Clearfix, then it might be pushing it a bit at that size. It'll probably 'skin' across OK, but I think it will look slightly concave when set. You'd also have to do this after painting the model, as Clearfix, and similar products, can't be masked.
Use the kit window, pre masked, and set it in place on a paint-free surface. Run liquid cement around the edges and, once set, re-inforce with tube cement, applied with a cocktail stick. Once set, re-paint around the edges of the window, where the clear part has a 'border'.

Ahoy Geo
This is truly a wonderful kit I have the Dambuster squadron 617 version, to say the least Airfix has got their game togetjher they are re tooling lot of kits lately I enjoyed building The Dambuster Lanc I had to buy another kit I couldn't get enough of it yours is going together very well I be following your build with entrest. I have a soft heart for the Lanc. Roy Chadwick designed a beautiful airplane.

Boats:thumbleft:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Boats and Terry. The 2 windows behind the cockpit went in with no fuss. The 2 small ones beneath the front turret are a tad small and just keep falling through so I'll use Clearfix. Ready to button up the fuselage but I'm stalled on the color of the 3 formation light under the fuselage. No call-outs in the instructions or painting diagram and nothing showing in my books. I'm assuming they're green/yellow/red but which way around? Probably a moot point as they will probably never be seen.

Geo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back