1/72 LANCASTER B.III

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks Luis and Dr. Gnomey. Starting to look like a Lancaster now.

a.jpg

Geo

Coming along nicely Geo.
I'd love to see Airfix release a 1/48th scale Lanc - and a Halifax MkIII.

Thanks guys. Thinking those would be some large chunks of plastic Terry, this one in 1/72 is comparable to a 1/48 B-26 though I would still want them. Anyhoo.......working on the tail feathers, stabs are made up of 3 parts per side.

006.JPG

Once dry, I test fit them to the fuselage. The fit was so tight I didn't try to remove them and glued them into place.

007.JPG

So far, aside from joining the front of the fuselage together which I'm going to put down as something I did or didn't do, the fit has been outstanding. Started working on the nacelles and I'm hoping this will carry on.

Geo

Thank you sir. Working on the smaller pair, the first thing to do was remove this small beastie as it interfered with the fit...

006.JPG

Not sure why I'm painting this as there is one more piece that fits on the 2 nubs that will all but cover the innards. Elastic band is just to hold the 2 halves together while the glue sets on said innards

002.JPG

Geo

Good stuff, and it certainly looks like a nice kit.
I have the Tamiya 1/48th scale Lanc to build at some time - been nearly 40 years since I built the last one - and yes, it's a fair size.
But this old kit has a number of inaccuracies, and even by the standards when first released, it was rather basic in some areas, and way over-priced (I paid around £25 back in 1978 !!).
It would be nice to see Airfix 'scale-up' their 1/72nd scale kit, to provide a good Lanc kit in 1/48th scale. .

It is a very clean work George; Lance is one of my favorite heavy bombers. In my wenches times (over 23 years) enjoyed only assemble 1/72 (by the variety of models) and in the last stage of that time I only took the plunge bombers with 2 and 4 engines. I do not remember if it was Hasegawa or Revell-Lodela (a brand that distributed a Mexican company for several years)
Advances in equipment, tools and accessories, have nothing to do with what we currently have. Techniques and options to improve our models are infinitely better.
He gave me a bit of nostalgia for this beautiful aircraft :crybaby: (all I painted with a brush, and there were so evil ... well that way I saw them) ... lol :headbang:

A hug and good weekend everyone.

Saludos :thumbup:

Luis Carlos

Thanks gents. A test fit of the outer nacelles shows a stellar fit. The larger 2 contain an extra piece, a forward bulkhead containing a reservoir of some sort, oil tank perhaps, that Airfix says is "scarlet red". Nothing I have shows that part of the well. Any thoughts?

001.JPG

Geo

Yep that's the oil tank. Here you are a colour pic with transformed into the B&W shot. However it seems that the colour of it is different from these next two you may seen below. In the colour image it is grey-greenish what causes that it is light in the B&W one. However the next two shots reveal it was of much darker colour. I would say it was of the scarlet red ( red-brown/rusty) one. This is all the more likely I have seen a such painted tanks for the Mosquito for instance.

oil tank.jpg

oil tank_a.jpg

oil tank1.jpg

oil tank2.jpg

Beauty my friends. Also answered the color of the retaining straps and I like the little Interior Green drain(?). Off to paint though once again, not likely to be seen beyond these hallowed halls.

Geo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back