1/72 LANCASTER B.III

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks all. As mentioned previously, some of the top covers for the engine nacelles had a poor fit though to be fair, given the multiple curves involved, not too bad.

002.JPG
003.JPG
004.JPG

These are filled and setting up. Next, the flaps.

Geo

Thankee sir. Again, as mentioned previously, the flaps are designed to be opened or closed and are a 3 piece affair. If one want to pose them open, the tabs are inserted into corresponding holes in the upper wings. HOWEVER, one tab is short shot and there ain't no furlushing corresponding holes nor is there any mention on the instruction sheet to open or make said corresponding holes...

002.JPG

...as I'm going to build it with the flaps up, I'll remove the remaining tab.

Geo

:wave: Thank you. When they say that a part can fit in the open or closed position, 9 times out of 10 it won't. Such is the case here. One of the problems I have is mating two none matching pieces together but this worked out.

004.JPG

I never glued the back of the nacelle to the flap in anticipation for this....putty when all is set.

Geo

Merci. Next up, the fronts of the nacelles. There are 4 of these, all numbered the same.

1.jpg

It seems the deeper I get into the build, the worse the fit gets. The problem here being the plug that fits over the nacelle front. I could get 2 of 4 to fit not too bad but in the end, screw it. I'm going to get the grinder out and thin the nacelle fronts a tad.

Geo

Last edited:
Good progress Geo.
I think it might be better to trim down the 'plugs' on the back of the intakes, rather than attack the front of the nacelles.
Seems slightly unusual that there are fit problems, as the new Airfix kits seem to be on the ball in this area, but then, it can happen with the best of moulds.

Thanks guys. That was my original thought Terry but I'm not sure if I would break through to the radiators. I'll start tomorrow and very slowly grind away. It won't take much as the fit on 2 are very close and the other 2 are pretty close. Next up is the part of the rear turret Terry mentioned a few posts ago and this is an Airfix faux pas unless I'm reading something wrong. On the left are the pieces for the post war aircraft, labelled "F16" & "F15" and on the right, for the aircraft I'm doing, "D4" & D3". Well sir...on the sprues these are reversed.

007.JPG

008.JPG

Sooooo, what I'm going to do is build both up and test fit though I will start with step 88b & 89b first.

Geo

Nice touch by Airfix, although a pity they got the instructions or sprue numbers wrong !
Some late Lancasters had the wider slipstream deflector, even though the original FN turret was retained. Those fitted with the AGLS certainly had the later style, and the rear nav / ID lamps were fitted into the rear faces, as the AGLS gear obscured the bottom end of the rear fuselage, where the lamps were originally.

Thanks guys. A little bit Andy but not too bad. I can understand the slight fit problem with the nacelle fronts and their multiple curves and I got them to fit better than expected and with minimal mud. I also got the rear turret slipstream deflector on with a little fight. The panel lines don't match so I'll fill them with stretched sprue, file and rescribe, my first attempt at this. While I was checking my last post for typos(as is my wont), I looked at the instructions and realized I was supposed to attach the turret to the slipstream deflector and then glue it all in place. Raced downstairs, removed the relevant parts and did a dry fit....no problemo. One of the problems with wanting to leave clear parts off before painting. I'll check the front turret fit in the A.M..

002.JPG

Geo

Looks good. Wish Airfix would do a 1/48th scale Lanc - even after the up-date, the Tamiya kit is still 40 years old, and fairly basic ... and way over-priced for what it is.

GOD NO!!!! I have 4 four-engine aircraft in the stash all ready. Next up in the "fitting everything before the paint and clear parts" category is the mid-upper turret interrupter collar. There are no locating tabs so I did a rough placement, taped the mid-upper turret together, inserted it into the hole and when it was all centered, I hit it with glue.

001.JPG

Geo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back