1/72 LANCASTER B.III

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks gents. Probably the last time this will be seen.

002.JPG

Geo

Appreciated. Starting to shape up now. I had to file down the edges of both inner nacelles a tad to get them to snug into position, about 5 swipes per side. The outer ones popped into place.

002.JPG

The instructions would have one fit the landing gear on next but I'm going to hold off and mount the nacelle tops and the last of the tail feathers before painting. Having said that, this will be my first project using an airbrush and that won't happen until I get out of camp next week or maybe later.

Geo

Thanks gents. I decided to attach the bomb bay doors before I headed in today and ran into some drama, mostly my fault. I'm one of those who follows instructions; never looking in advance. I knew all along that the doors would be closed and I should have attached them to their corresponding fuselage halves before joining the fuselage together. Though the instructions show that doors as well as the gear doors can be posed closed, I find it's never an easy go. I've got them to about ¾ to where I want them but mud will flow, sparingly. That's it for another week, have a good week gents.

Geo

Good stuff Geo, it's coming together nicely.
Interesting arrangement around the tail turret, with the tail spar door - I presume the tail turret fairing is a separate part, along with the turret. Should make for an accurate -looking tail end,

Thanks guys and right you are Terry. I'll be sure to post pics of before and after. Mudding is done, more than I would have like but the right bay door was warped slightly in both directions and no matter what, I couldn't get the bend that was along the narrow of the door if that makes sense. Back to building. I put the tops of the engine covers on. Not the greatest fit and I'll use milliput on these. The stab/rudder/ mass balance is in 3 parts.

a.jpg

Both sides are setting up and then I'll deal with the engine covers and flaps. The flaps can be posed up or down but I haven't seen a picture of them down so I'll trim them and put them up. I'm slowly getting things transferred around and hope to have all my stuff out of this little cubby hole and into a larger room. SWMBO has informed me that my cubby hole will become a guest bathroom.

Geo

Last edited:
Good stuff Geo.
Regarding the flaps - standard procedure on most RAF aircraft was to retract the flaps as soon as possible after landing, and they stayed that way when parked. However, I have seen a number of period photos, and film footage of Lancs with the flaps lowered when parked.Whether this was standard practice, or an occasional thing, or maybe the result of hydraulic 'bleed off' i don't know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back