1/72 Northrop P-61 Black Widow - Your Favorite Aircraft of All Time GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

After a particular bad experence with "window fog" I only use white glue on clear parts. Takes longer to set up, but never fogs and it can be used to fill pesky gaps

thanks chaps,i had to stop polishing the part as i could see that it was getting mighty thin in places,whatever attacked the part had gone right into the material,but i think this was mostly due to crazing of the plastic due to its age or bad storage at some time in the kits life,you live and learn

Michael, whiter spirit is basically enamel thinners, and will not work with acrylics. A good thinner/cleaner to use with acrylics is Isopropyl alcohol.

i keep looking at this kit as i still have yet to finish it,can anyone point me in the right direction to get a replacement rear transparentce for this, as with all the detail i've put inside this is now the only thing that spoils it

Michael, whiter spirit is basically enamel thinners, and will not work with acrylics. A good thinner/cleaner to use with acrylics is Isopropyl alcohol.

I've had a bad experience with Iso, maybe it was too cheap a bottle. But having said that, I do keep a big bottle of it around and use it for All my clean-up, brushes and airbrush. You can run a lot of the stuff thru the airbrush and not choke on the expense. I do however use the Tamiya acrylic thinner for thinning the paint in the airbrush. But I do use a syringe and add drops in the AB cup and mix there when spraying. So I am conserving that expensive stuff. When I brush I use a little dish, put some paint in it and use it like a palette and dip my brush into the Tamiya thinner to add to the paint in the dish. If you don't swizzle the brush in the thinner it won't cloud it.

Also just a tip..... on this GB I found if I use the tip of a very pointed toothpick, I paint the knobs on the panels. Easier to control the dab of paint going on....

Just Plane Bill

There is clear plastic used in packaging some holiday items here, I don't know what you have there in the yewkay, but it is fairly tough and can be gently heated and formed.
Sorry I can't be more helpful, but maybe you can puzzle it out, I am always looking for everyday items that can be used for modeling.
Go to your local mega-mart type store and just wander around, you might spot something you had never thought of before.
Good luck, and happy modeling!

bob5156.jpg

bob5100.jpg

bob5099.jpg

just an update to this one,i've not done much to it lately being so disappointed with the rear screen misting,i might have another go at it later

thanks chaps but she does need more work on the finish,i want to give a few wash's to level out the graining on the black surfaces and i'm thinking of trying to make a replacement rear transparency because of the damage,but can i do it ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back