1/72 Northrop P-61 Black Widow - Your Favorite Aircraft of All Time GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Just a question, doesn't future also protect from different glues fogging that clear piece again? I thought I read somewhere that that is what some modelers do before putting on the canopy.

hi chaps i've polished this part within an inch of its life and its still not completely right so unless i can get a replacement from somewhere it will have to do,i think some of it is age of part as it has a slightly crazed surface ,this could be why it reacted with the glue,i will post some pics as soon as i get time to download them

Yes, 'Future' normally prevents fogging from CA fumes, although heavy use of poly cement can still eat through.

bob4455-1.jpg

bob4458-1.jpg

bob4460.jpg

bob4461.jpg

bob4462.jpg

bob4466.jpg

bob4474.jpg

bob4477.jpg

bob4480.jpg

bob4483.jpg

bob4487.jpg

bob4488.jpg

bob4485.jpg

progress so far including the pics taken just after the rear canopy was fitted and what it looked like in the morning,after hours of polishing you can see through it again but there are still some small hairline cracks in the plastic probably down to poor storage at some time in the kits life,but it will have to do unless i can get a replacement which isn't likely as its such a rare kit,my next job is to try to add some brake pipes to the undercart legs,

thanks for all your help chaps

bob5100.jpg

bob5156.jpg

progress tonight,mainly light detailing and varnish coats,once this has dried using the markings supplied as a guide, i plan to change the red to white on the codes and nose art as the kit wrongly supplies these in red

Hi Evan,i can't get any thinners locally anymore so i've been vanishing and wet/drying between coats to get a smooth finish

Bob, if you're using enamels, which I believe you are, then get a large bottle of White Spirit from B&Q or a hardware store - lot cheaper and easier than getting a small tin from a model shop. Have a look at the brush painting guide I posted in the 'Painting Questions' section some time ago - it might give you some pointers to getting a smooth, even finish in small scales.

Looks good Bob and you have worked hard on the clear canopy part. Have to agree with Terry re the White Spirit, never without a bottle in the shed, cleans brushes and airbrush a treat.

I wonder if white spirit is the same as acrylic thinner. I use acrylics as you know, and thin it using this acrylic thinner. i buy it in bulk from the auto-repair shops like Repco and supa cheap auto. bought in bulk, the stuff is cheap....I never buy that sought of general product from the model shop. they see ya coming. Except that its poisonous i would drink the stuff!!!!! its great for clean up enamel or acrylic, is the perfect thinner and not as toxic and stnky as say turpentine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back