1/72 Savoia-Marchetti S.55X - Seaplanes / Floatplanes of WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Heck we had a puppy come into the clinic one Saturday. He had gone out to hike his leg and got tagged by a copperhead in a REALLY bad place. Every guy there just winced and crossed their legs.

Thought about that more than once when using the exterior facilities. I can vividly recall the Malayan Krait curled up on the seat. Normally at night I never used a light in camp fortunately that night I took a quick peek. #1 though was the Malayan Viper who crawled up my leg to the knee whilst I watered some bushes

Had a bit of a jaw drop when I saw this one Jim, didn't even know there was a kit for it. An aircraft with a bit of Italian history attached to it.

I have a small article on this if you're interested, extracted from a magazine. If you want, drop me a PM with your email and I'll forward it.

Letter I received when I asked the Smithsonian for help. Guess it's off to Italy!

Smithsonian Letter SM55X modified.JPG

Last edited:
Yeah, well that's why they are there for. Problem is I already sent them a request a heard nothing back. Maybe if I asked in Italian? But the information contained in this letter at least gives me another avenue to pursue now that I know the unit it was assigned to. The reason I'm doing all this, other than I love it, is to make the model fit into the category of this GB. A WW2 seaplane. So far I have one mediocre picture that may or may not be from the period of the GB.

Last edited:
Yeah, well that's why they are there for. Problem is I already sent them a request a heard nothing back. Maybe if I asked in Italian? But the information contained in this letter at least gives me another avenue to pursue now that I know the unit it was assigned to. The reason I'm doing all this, other than I love it, is to make the model fit into the category of this GB. A WW2 seaplane. So far I have one mediocre picture that may or may not be from 5 he period of the GB.

Wow Jim you are going after the facts :thumbright: Research is a love/hate thing for me I like to build.

Ask the museum first, I usually go down the museums when I'm researching my orders and medals groups and then go to Embassies last (they also usually seem to contact the museums themselves and most don't have the resources to hold historical items in their own collections, but some do :D)

Hope that helped.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back