1/72 Savoia-Marchetti S.55X - Seaplanes / Floatplanes of WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I think we are getting warm! Recieved the following last week:

Gentile Sig.NICOLETTI

questo Ufficio Generale per la Comunicazione
Sezione Produzione Audiovisivi
necessita di un indirizzo presso
il quale inviare il Cd-Rom
con le immagini da Lei richieste.

Distinti Saluti.

Which translates to:

Dear Sig.NICOLETTI

This General Office for Communication
Audiovisual Section
requires an address at
which send the CD-ROM
with the pictures you requested.

With best regards.

Just sent them my address! My only worry is that they did not fully understand my very specific request and will send me the same generic information that I already have. Well here is for hoping! Fingers crossed!

I have this already. It originally came with the kit when it was first released. Good stuff in there, but the only actual picture of the exterior that I can use is on page 11, bottom left, picture C.

What do you think? Are those covered turrets on the back?

I have this already. It originally came with the kit when it was first released. Good stuff in there, but the only actual picture of the exterior that I can use is on page 11, bottom left, picture C.

What do you think? Are those covered turrets on the back?

Hard to say about that Jim, it's not very clear on my monitor even when expanded. I would be inclined to use the details shown of the forward gun position on page 7 as a guide and if you explode the picture on page 8 and 11 you get a better idea on the rear gun positions. Also the profiles at the back end of the PDF on pages 37 to 40 should be of use.

It is my hope to build the S.55X variant fitted with Isotta-Fraschini Asso 750 engines for North Atlantic formation flights, later armed and used as a reconnaissance-bomber. 25 built. The aircraft went on to serve in the Regia Aeronautica as a long-range bomber and patrol aircraft, but by World War II, the last S.55s were no longer serviceable and were in reserve.

ANY HELP WITH PICTURES OR PLANS, ESPECIALLY FROM MY ITALIAN AVIATION FRIENDS, WOULD BE GREAT!!!

Hello Vick,
I've just signed in to this forum, I was looking on the web where to buy this model and I found your project... to be honest I didn't read the full story, if you are still looking for some info on the matter feel free to ask me: I live very close to the Italian Air Force Museum. As you may know there isn't any survivor S-55X but in the museum there is a hall dedicated to that era and to the Balbo's team, with a lot of original pictures. If you need a specific detail, let me know... it's about half an hour drive from home.

a great gesture Basilio, a great gesture

Basilio, first off my apologies for not responding sooner my friend! Welcome to our home away from home!

Thank you for your very generous offer, as Vic says "looks like Babbo Natale has come a'knocking at your door". Unfortunately, unless you know something the museum administration doesn't then I believe I would be wasting your time my friend. It seems the museum doesn't have the information I was looking for and has sent me else where. That else where being "stato maggiore aeronautica - roma". They seem to grasp that I'm looking for a version of the S-55 X that was militerized after all the propaganda flights. In fact I an waiting for a CD from them that hopefully will include photos of my mystery bird.

However, it's my pleasure to meet you and hope that I can work with you on some future project that explores the wonders of Italian aviation. Please do not hesitate to ask if there is anything I can do in return!

All the best, Jim

Jim, no problem... you know I need just a new excuse to go visiting the museum again :)

Well you can always pretend I asked you to give the place another once over to make sure they didn't miss anything, with an extended stay at the gift shop!

Thanks for the links brother! Some really great stuff there!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back