1/72 Scale Aircraft Hangar

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Ah ! I forgot you were using airbrush-ready paints !
Increase pressure slightly, and mist over the complete section continuously, building up the colour.
It'll use a bit of paint, and still be slightly uneven (unless you continue to cover the area in built-up coats), but, being inside, and away from direct light, it should look good enough.
Alternatively, use a household, water-based 'emulsion' paint, and paint it, with a brush, in one go. If you do this, do not dilute the paint, or it may warp the card stock. A thin coat direct from the can would do it. I often use a grey, emulsion primer as a base for 'concrete' on card, for dioramas, and it works fine.
It's a quicker, and much more economical way of doing it on relatively 'unimportant' areas, rather than exhaust fairly expensive modelling paint. Even kid's water colour paints could be used, either brushed or sprayed.

More pictures coming soon. Just finishing up painting the roof girders and trusses. But I want to ask for suggestions for the outside paint on the hangar itself. I originally though silver since the outside is meant to look like corrugated metal. However, now I'm thinking white (suitably weathered - hopefully under the guidance of the forums suggestions) with the roof of white and faded red in a large checkerboard pattern. Thoughts?

20160213_130617.jpg

Roof structure test fit

That's looking good Jim.
Sorry, can't advise on the exterior colours of US hangars, but from what I've seen, they appear to have been light grey perhaps?
Obviously, period, location and type of airfield might have some bearings on colours.
WW2 hangars on British bases were normally camouflaged in either dark green and dark earth, or overall green, with some later, 'T2' metal hangars often being black. This included RAF and USAAF. German hangars were often green/ grey camouflage, or similar colours to RAF, but often in a splinter scheme, Others could be made to look like farm buildings, houses etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back