150 Years After Gettysburg, Virginia and Minnesota Fight Over Confederate Flag

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

syscom3

Pacific Historian
Jun 4, 2005
Orange County, CA
Hey, we won it fair and square!

150 Years After Gettysburg, Virginia and Minnesota Fight Over Confederate Flag

Next week marks the 150th anniversary of the Battle of Gettysburg, but it appears, somehow, there is still some bad blood between a pair of Northern and Southern states.

Here's the controversy: The Minnesota Historical Society has a Confederate flag in their possession, captured from a Virginia regiment during the last day of the battle. For the sake of the anniversary, Virginia Governor Bob McDonnell asked Minnesota to loan it to them (McDonnell is the governor who had declared April 2010 "Confederate History Month" at the behest of the Sons of Confederate Veterans, but then apologized for not mentioning slavery in the proclamation). Minnesota Governor Mark Dayton's response to the request is simple: No way.

As he told a crowd of reporters and Civil War reenactors earlier this week:

The governor of Virginia earlier this year requested that the flag be loaned, quote, unquote, to Virginia to commemorate -- it doesn't quite strike me as something they would want to commemorate, but we declined that invitation.

It was taken in a battle at the cost of the blood of all these Minnesotans. And I think it would be a sacrilege to return it to them. It was something that was earned through the incredible courage and valor men who gave their lives and risked their lives to obtain it. And as far as I'm concerned, it's a closed subject.

The next day, Sherman along with the remaining members of the Minnesota 1st were in the the center of the Union lines when Confederate General Robert E. Lee ordered an assault. "Pickett's Charge," as it is called, represents the furthest advance the South made into the North during the war.

It was a brutal, chaotic scene. "We just rushed in like wild beasts," one Minnesotan fighter described. "Men swore and cursed and struggled and fought, grappled in hand-to-hand fight, threw stones, clubbed their muskets, kicked, yelled, and hurrahed." The charge failed, leading to the Union victory at Gettysburg.

Amid the firefight, Sherman eyed a Virginian "shouting like mad," according to a Roanoke Times recollection. He was barefoot, the legend goes, as he charged the Virginian with his bayonet. Jabbing at the enemy, Sherman said "Throw down that flag or I'll run you through." He was awarded the Medal of Honor for his effort."

That's perhaps why the flag is so important to the state: the blood it took to get it and the valor bestowed upon Sherman for capturing it confer a historical pride. The flag remains "one of the true treasures of the Minnesota Historical Society," as the Society's says on its website.

Over the years, there have been many calls for Confederate flags to be returned to their home states. President Grover Cleveland issued even an executive order in 1887 to return the colors of a few confederate units in an act of good will. Many scoffed at that, including defeated Confederate leader Jefferson Davis, who, according to the Roanoke Times, said that banners belong to the captors, by "all known military precedents." The president eventually rescinded the order.

In 2000, Chris Caveness, a Roanoke resident spearheaded a federal lawsuit to get the flag back in Virginia based on a 1905 act of Congress allowing for the return of Confederate flags in possession of the War Department. From the Roanoke Times:

Caveness... enlisted his own big gun in the form of former Virginia Attorney General Anthony Troy. Helped by a cadre of Richmond Law School students, Troy wrote his own 45-page legal opinion with exhibits, arguing "federal property cannot be abandoned or disposed without Congressional assent." Since Congress never gave the flag away, Troy concluded, Minnesota is illegally in possession of it.

The litigation did not end in action. But the skirmish over the flag continues, 150 years later.

For those truly interested, read more about the fight over the flag at the Minnesota Historical Society.

H/T Kevin Levin at Civil War Memory

That's kind of funny and sad at the same time.

The State Historical Society of Iowa was kind enough to loan my colleges battle flag back to us for 4 years.

We're still not sure how the heck they got it.

They should ask to get back their independence and their freedom, not old flags

Ha, I think that's where it could end up going if mineral water resources or power generation problems become topic of greater contention in the unkown future...

I was born in Minnesota.
That's all.
The Civil war is over.
Get over it.
Make it an "Official" lending.
And if they don't give it back,... Well, gather a bunch of college students and storm the place.
This is seriously stupid.

What find is stupid are the people playing the "We won the war!", "The South Should Be Greatful" BS...

Wink wink...:lol:

Seriously though, get over it. The was 150+ years ago, were all Americans. Besides, they did not even fight in it, they did not win ****.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back