1st Build - Hasegawa A6M2

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

fatboris

Airman
Mar 4, 2010
Colorado
Interestingly enough, reading some how-to's on the internet will not make you a skilled model builder. A little overboard with the wash but I'm still pleased with how it's coming along. The good news is I've found a TON of models I want to do so I'll have plenty of oppurtunities to improve.

I did some research and found this particular pilot tended to shoot low and had no kills...not sure why :lol: Here's the cockpit...

Attachments

• A6M2004.jpg
    A6M2004.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 242
  • A6M2009.jpg
    A6M2009.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 231
  • A6M2003.jpg
    A6M2003.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 239
  • A6M2002.jpg
    A6M2002.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 234
Last edited:
Looking good. But the first picture is a little too large. Please, resize your pictures to 800-830 pixels in the width before you upload them here.

Your seat looks positioned a little too forward but nice work with nice interior color.
Thanks for sharing, fatboris.

Attachments

• Zero_seat.jpg
    Zero_seat.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 227
I resized the pics...sorry, Wurger.

Thanks, Shinpachi. I had to mix the interior color. Good info on the seat, I'll do it right on the next one. I scrapped my plan to do this as an open cockpit fairly early on...like 5 minutes into it.

I build only one kit 1/48 it's really hard for details...mate you done a really good work compliments :)

I'm going to do the 265th FG....Lightening bolt on the tail. That was a great link you gave me to j-aircraft. I did try doing your trick of cutting out each individual dial and placing them. The first few turned out OK and then I just started tearing them. The color also ended up a littlle darker than it should have since this would be a Nakajima, the color I mixed is closer to Mitsubishi cockpits.

I'll post pics of the progress.

I'm going to do the 265th FG....Lightening bolt on the tail. That was a great link you gave me to j-aircraft. I did try doing your trick of cutting out each individual dial and placing them. The first few turned out OK and then I just started tearing them. The color also ended up a littlle darker than it should have since this would be a Nakajima, the color I mixed is closer to Mitsubishi cockpits.

I'll post pics of the progress.

No worries. I should have remembered that...:rolleyes:

Yes, Nakajima interior is more of a Yellow-Green.

Dials can be a pain, you just have to take your time...

Now what I really should have asked is what paints are you using?

Last edited:
Testors Model Master Imp Japanese Navy Green and Imp Japanese Navy Sky Grey. I mixed MM Flat Black with Testors Flat Sea Blue @ 2:1 for the cowling.

I'm having a hard time figuring out what to do with landing gear bays, etc... to get that metallic blue color. I was guessing I'd paint them aluminum then mix Clear Blue and Clear green for a top coat? Any suggestions are of course appreciated.:confused:

I'm having a hard time figuring out what to do with landing gear bays, etc... to get that metallic blue color. I was guessing I'd paint them aluminum then mix Clear Blue and Clear green for a top coat? Any suggestions are of course appreciated.:confused:[/QUOTE]

What you propose to do for the aotake is what I would do.

What you propose to do for the aotake is what I would do.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, still no closer. I'm sure that's good advice but I have no idea what that means.

First thing to think about, Mitsubishi Cowlings were Blue-Black, Nakajima cowlings were Black-Grey so Black with a touch of white....

Will check my notes for other colours there were variations between Nakajima and Mitsubishi Zero's.

Any tips orinfo are greatly appreciated. My resources are fairly limited and frankly I don't even know where to begin looking for any info. Everytime I google it just takes me to Amazon. If I bought all the books I wouldnt have any money for kits and paints

You don't have to buy any books.
Wayne knows everything you need to know:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back