2018 FIFA World Cup

Your favorite to win the 2018 World Cup?


  • Total voters
    19
Don't forget they had a Dutch king for a while :)
The English throne has had almost every nationality except an Englishman on it.
 
If England was Germanic as you state then they would have been knocked out in the group stage.
And what group were Holland in? What team did they play?
To call English a Germanic language is a gross over simplified concept.

Well someone had to give the "Upper Germans" a chance...

It was all done out of charity. Be grateful.
 
To say to a linguist that German and English are the same is like saying to an engineer that the Wright Flyer and a 747 are the same. Well kinda.....
It may be easy to knock England but let's face it, every country is open to abuse....I literally could go on all day! And I would enjoy it too.but I won't because I don't want to go down that rabbit hole.

As long as it is all fun and games and not too personal I don't think anyone cares.
 
Ever tried learning German? :lol:
"mit, nach, nebst, bei, zeit, from, zu....."

German is for complicated people, English is for simple people, while Dutch is the language of kings.
"
William III (Dutch: Willem; 4 November 1650 – 8 March 1702),[2] also widely known as William of Orange, was sovereign Prince of Orange from birth, Stadtholder of Holland, Zeeland, Utrecht, Gelderland and Overijssel in the Dutch Republic from 1672 and King of England, Ireland and Scotland from 1689 until his death in 1702. As King of Scotland, he is known as William II.[3] He is sometimes informally known in Northern Ireland and Scotland as "King Billy".[4] "

German is a complicated language. I speak it fluently and still want to pull my hair out sometimes.
 
That chef bit is wholly unacceptable and innaccurate !

Can one actually be a "Chef" of English "cuisine"? :D
 
And the Zeppelins.
 
In that same vein, if France wins and England wins, then we can have 1066 all over again!

Ironic though, the "Three Lions" take that symbolism from Richard I who was progeny of William the Conqueror, a Norman. Ol' Bill used the 2 lion standard and his castle in Caen still remains.

That said, I'd like to see Belgium and Croatia... just to be different!
 
In that same vein, if France wins and England wins, then we can have 1066 all over again!

Ironic though, the "Three Lions" take that symbolism from Richard I who was progeny of William the Conqueror, a Norman. Ol' Bill used the 2 lion standard and his castle in Caen still remains.

That said, I'd like to see Belgium and Croatia... just to be different!
They are not actually lions, but leopards, a bit like Argentinas sports team being called pumas.
 
FIFA have employed Mr Maginot to referee tonight's match, he is good at borderline decisions.

Groan.... :facepalm:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back