21st Century Toys Models--Where are they? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I ordered a couple of these planes recently. From the catalog pictures, they look pretty good for about $25 each. After I received my order, I found them at our local Wal-Mart for $15 each. There isn't much selection at Wal-Mart, but the price beats anything I have seen online and there is no shipping charge.

I finally decided to unbox one (P-51D) about two weeks ago and was a bit disappointed. The plane LOOKS like a P-51D but has a bunch of very obvious errors. In assembling the plane, I noticed that there was no gap between the radiator opening and the bottom of the wing. I also noticed that the plane sat a bit funny but could not figure out why. It turns out that the landing gear struts are way too long so the ground angle is a bit steeper than it should be. Also, the gear doors are attached to the gear struts which means they don't overlap the main wheels when everything is down.

The assembly of the model also isn't particularly good and within 10 minutes after assembling the model, the landing gear would not stay completely retracted.

Hope no one takes offense.
- Ivan.

The thing you have to remember about these is they are toys. Accurate toys, but toys nonetheless, so the company's bound to take a few liberties for structural strength and such. WE're modellers, so we're use to high accuracy stuff, and while for the most part these birds are accurate, there are bound to be a few things. On my Avenger, there is only one scoop opening on the cowling, when there are supposed to be two. It's little things like that, but I still like them.

Which other ones did you buy Ivan?

Hello Catch22,

I also bought the F4U Corsair, Zero 52, and FW 190A-8. I have only opened the P-51D though. The issues I found were not really REQUIRED by the fact that these planes are toys. The belly scoop is simply shaped wrong. The landing gear struts could have been made the correct length without affecting strength.

I haven't opened up any of the others, but am likely to open at least one this weekend. If I find anything else, I will continue the messages here.

- Ivan.

I have about 17 planes and 12 armored units on display in my office at work. All are 1:32 scale. They make an incredible display and a nice conversation piece. I couldn't care less that they are not 100% accurate. Just having them to look at is fine with me.

I have about 17 planes and 12 armored units on display in my office at work. All are 1:32 scale. They make an incredible display and a nice conversation piece. I couldn't care less that they are not 100% accurate. Just having them to look at is fine with me.

Thats how I feel ...But why would they dick up something like the landing gear and air scoop..But how I see it is these models look better then I could ever do...

Hi Thorlifter,

My apologies if you are offended. I do think these planes are a pretty good value at $25 and a steal at $15. I will probably buy a couple more even considering the issues I described about the P-51D and the issues I ran into tonight.

I found that the Zero that I bought was not the Model 52. It is a Model 22. This evening I opened the Corsair and Zero. The Corsair is really a F4U-1D because it has provision for drop tanks and even includes the tanks. Because it has fairings behind the tail wheel, it might really be a FG-1D. Then again, it has a window on the underside of the plane and I thought that was only on very early Corsairs.

After messing with them for the last hour or so, Neither one is assembled.
I can't get the Corsair's wings to line up when unfolded. The canopy refuses to stay on the plane. The Main landing gear doesn't go down all the way because of interference between the strut and the front edge of the wheel well. I believe the landing gear arrangement on the Monogram 1/48 scale F4U-4 was a pretty good design for a toy. There are also about a half dozen hinges for the gear doors that don't work on this plane. Some of them were glued in place by paint. Others were pre-broken but I don't know the cause. The tail gear also won't come down and I hesitate to put a lot of force on the fork of the tail wheel which is the only part I can reach without tools. This model also has Rudder Pedals (!) although one is bent.

The issue with the Zero is mainly with the fit between the wing root and fuselage. I have tried shaving off plastic from the little U shaped channel that holds the wing root of the fuselage in alignment with the upper wing surface. The canopy works very well on this plane. Interestingly enough, there is lots of detail such as oxygen bottles that won't be visible on this plane once I finish assembling. The inner gear doors don't fit very well. I also can't seem to find the exhaust pipe on this plane. The oil cooler inlet looks like it could use a little help with a file and / or hobby knife. The shapes just don't look right though it might be because I can't get the fuselage and wings lined up. This model also has a flat spot on the tip of the tail cone as if someone was intending to put the light there, but there is no light.

I also found that I had purchased the FW 190D via mail order, so that will be subject of a later description unless these critiques draw enough fire to make them not worth writing.

- Ivan.

Am I correct in assuming that these are all 1/32?

My 1/18 Corsair doesn't have a window, but you are certainly right in saying it's a -1D. As for the fit on it, I didn't have any issues putting together, but I don't ever fold the wings either, I know somebody who broke his trying, nor is there a window in the bottom, although these may just be the differences that come with different scales and such. As for the Fw 190D, the issue I have with it is the tail wheel doesn't like to stay in OR out. I pops in if any pressure's put on it, but if it's hanging on the ceiling (like mine always are) it comes out. Also I think the tires are either too small or the main landing gear are slightly too short. But I like them mostly for the shock value. People walk into my room and see the 1/18 Avenger as soon as they enter, and they always comment on how huge that one is and the others as well.

And keep the critiques coming, I have no issue with them. Like has been said, yes, they have inaccuracies, but we (and obviously you) still like them. I personally have not taken a really close look at any of mine, besides looking at the F4U one day and noticing the drop tank attachments.

Hello Catch22,

The ones I am buying are all 1:32. I don't really want to spend the money on the 1:18 stuff. I also don't have the room for more than a couple of them. I normally do 1:48 or 1:72 scale planes, so even 1:32 is pretty big for me.

Since you mentioned the FW 190 Landing Gear, something similar is happening on my P-51D: the inner gear doors just fall down by gravity effect. There is no detent, and very little friction holding the gear doors up. One side is much worse than the other though.

Unfortunately, my inclination when things don't work as I like is to cut the thing apart and figure out how to make it work well even if the result is somewhat unsightly. I believe with some sheet brass and some wire, one can easily rebuild plastic parts here to make them work right.

- Ivan.

No problem Ivan, and I wasn't offended.

You are correct that they are not 100% perfect. In fact, overall, I would put them about 85% as far as accuracy and quality of build. My point was just that for the price and to have the collection that I do to spark conversation, I flat love them!

Hello All,

I haven't done anything with them for about a week now. The Corsair and the zero are still sitting in their boxes. After the issues with the Zero, the P-51D is looking better and better. I will look for the P-51B/C also. Chances are pretty good that I will attempt to rebuild the P-51D's landing gear to some extent. It isn't VERY wrong, just wrong enough to bother me. The idea is to make the scissors links really work so that the landing gear is compressed a bit. That should change the ground angle.

This isn't very relevant, but McDonald's now has Star Wars Bobble head toys. They look to be perfectly sized to be helmets for GI Joes and that is my current project. I've been looking for a Joe sized Darth Vader head for a long time.

- Ivan.

Hi Catch22,

If you like randomness, try this:

My latest projects are head swaps using DML bodies and heads from various sources. Most of them are coming from Mattel's Barbie / Ken line. Some heads are from Lanard, Some are from Formative International.

Still haven't gotten to the FW 190s yet.

- Ivan.

i have a few once i can get stuff from my camra to my comp

They seem to be becoming illusive, if not rare Roman! One mail-order model outlet in the UK used to list four aircraft in 1/32nd scale, now there is only one, the Bf109G-14. I wanted their Stuka and Corsair, but can't find them anywhere in the World now!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back