25 years ago....

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Geedee

Senior Master Sergeant
Dec 5, 2008

Last edited:
I was doing what I'm doing tody - working animal control. I remember driving the truck through frozen streets an hearing it on the radio. shocked.

Even more shocking, at least for me, was the reason for the failure.

Taken from Universe today:
The disaster was precipitated by the failure of an o-ring assembly in the right solid rocket booster.

The company I working for is a famous manufacturer of O-rings. As far as I remember they were found not guilty at all because the product was good but incorrectly selected/installed and we understood it immediately when some details were made public.

Unbelievable that seven lives were lost due to a stupid mistake.
Alberto

Still from Universe today

The investigation of the Rogers Commission led to several conclusions. The most important being that NASA's organizational culture and decision-making processes had been key contributors to the accident. Managers had known that the SRB design contained a potentially catastrophic flaw in the o-rings since 1977. They failed to address it properly for a decade. The same managers had disregarded warnings from engineers about the dangers of launching because of the cold temperatures that morning. After ignoring the engineers, they had failed to adequately report these technical concerns to their superiors.

Last edited:
Still from Universe today

The investigation of the Rogers Commission led to several conclusions. The most important being that NASA's organizational culture and decision-making processes had been key contributors to the accident. Managers had known that the SRB design contained a potentially catastrophic flaw in the o-rings since 1977. They failed to address it properly for a decade. The same managers had disregarded warnings from engineers about the dangers of launching because of the cold temperatures that morning. After ignoring the engineers, they had failed to adequately report these technical concerns to their superiors.

For some reason, I cant' help but think of Montgomery and Market-Garden when I read this...

Watched it live on TV with my kids, thought it was important that they witnessed history in the making live. Little did I know

Attachments

• halfflag.gif
    halfflag.gif
    6.5 KB · Views: 172
  • icon_salute_proper.gif
    icon_salute_proper.gif
    344 bytes · Views: 163
I was not even a year old when it happened, but I remember my mom telling me later how shocking it was to watch on TV and to see the faces of the family who was there to watch and the poor teacher who lost her life on that day. When Columbia disintegrated I remember saying to my mom that NASA once again did not look out for the safety of the crew.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back