352nd Fighter Group "Blue Nosed Bastards of Bodney" Build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Great vid H ! Lots of interesting little details there, useful for display bases and dioramas etc. Things like where the gun and ammo tray covers are placed when removed, and a shot of bomb loading trolleys. I'm guessing, being a fighter field, they might have been used for loading fuelled drop tanks, or bombs for ground-attack missions, when undertaken, instead of the small trolleys and winch. Great stuff.

Thanks Terry, this is the sort of stuff that gets me motivated. Nothing like watching these kind of videos. Also they have John Bennett's mustang in there as well which is helpful!

Yep, noticed that one! I've just been looking at an old Monogram 1/48th P51D I built in 1995, as a 'K', or Mustang IV, in the colours of an RAF pilot I knew. It's faded and tarnished after being in sunlight for so long, so I'm going to do a 'make over'. I found some old decals for 'Moonbeam McSwine', but that's a 'D', so I might use the decals I have for Carson's 'Nooky Booky IV', which was a 'K'. I'm stuck with a 'K' as I altered the prop, so can only do one of those now. I have some other odds and ends of decals, so I'll look at some references and see what else can be done - sometime!
BTW, this was the same kit as your Revell example.

Sounds great Terry, once I get Eaglestrike decals parts 1-3 I'll have more decals than needed

Just to hard to find. I found parts 1 AND 3 in a British store for 16 pounds total without them telling me shipping which is already 24 dollars....

Check the opther thread (Future releases). Hannant's ship decals free in the UK, not sure about to USA, but it shouldn't be more than the cost of a small packet, or even a letter, if just decals. So that's anywhere between just under £1 to around £4.

I thought this picture might boost your confidence Harrison. I found this wile looking through an old box. It's the same Monogram P-51D model your working on. I was somewhere around 15 when I built it and it was defiantly not the first model I had ever built. Brushed on Testors silver yellow and no sanding and filling joints, just glued it together and painted it. Your way ahead of me at that point Harrison. Just keep at it! It only takes time and practice and you have a lot of help around here that I never had when I was learning.

Attachments

• P7152292.JPG
    113 KB · Views: 75
Thanks a ton Glenn! I'm not happy with Cripes a Mighty 3rd but will get it done! I've jsut been busy since my older brother is in the hospital recovering from surgery..... pictures later tonight!

Great model BTW!

OK some updates. Mr. Bennett's mustang has been moving along fantastically and the joints are snug....but like every other Mustang air intake needs work...also, should I do white and blue first? The Nuetral Grey and OD or does it not matter?

Attachments

• P7160270.JPG
    53.7 KB · Views: 68
  • P7160269.JPG
    55.3 KB · Views: 75
  • P7160268.JPG
    54.9 KB · Views: 75
  • P7160267.JPG
    81.2 KB · Views: 72
  • P7160265.JPG
    58.8 KB · Views: 69
  • P7160275.JPG
    67.9 KB · Views: 70
  • P7160278.JPG
    78.6 KB · Views: 69
  • P7160280.JPG
    70.3 KB · Views: 76
I would spray the white and blue first after a prime coat of light gray. Maybe not as important as when painting over silver, but it gives the bright colors a nice even base. I never really used liquid masking much preferring Tamaya tape, so maybe someone else should answer that one.

True Glenn I may just have to cut tape to the shape and then try, shouldn't be too tough just a bit of work, also the Revell canopy comes closed, I don't want to butcher this one but is there any way I can open it.

I need to sand and polish and I'll try the white. Hopefully I have enough for this model or I'm going to have to wait for some time.....the end of the month I think... but, since I got Cripes a mighty off the bench I can start on another to keep me occupied.

By the looks of it I think that Revell P-51B/C as the old Monogram P-51B/C (here it is, another one of my teenage efforts) The canopy with rear quarter windows comes as one piece with separate windscreen. To open it up you will have to carefully cut off the quarter windows, then cut the main canopy into three pieces, top, right side and left side. The right side is fixed in the closed position, the top is hinged open to the right from the fixed right side glass, and the left side hinges out and down to the left from the fuselage side. I have some pictures of this I'll try to find.

Attachments

• P7152300.JPG
    95.2 KB · Views: 71

Users who are viewing this thread