352nd Fighter Group "Blue Nosed Bastards of Bodney" Build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

B-17engineer

Colonel
Dec 9, 2007
Revis Island.
Hi guys,

For some time now (January I think?) I've been contemplating starting this thread and it is inspired by Terry and Vic's Firebird squadron threads.

I have decided to build various P-51B's and D's of the 352nd FG in1/48 scale. I'll be using different decal manufacturers like Eaglestrike, Aerosmaster, and Eaglecals. I have had some 'obsession' with the 352nd FG. To start off I'll be using Monograms old kit and turning it into Cripes a Mighty 3'rd (This is the 103483th try at this airplane, the blue is tough.) Using Tamiya spray cans that have perfect color matches I'll be using those as I did with the other 2 builds.

I'm gonna need more P-51's!!! (Donations welcome :evil4:)

Once I clear some projects off I'll begin.

Attachments

• P-51 Monogram.jpg
    P-51 Monogram.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 424
Harrison look up the official 352nd f web-site think there still is a forum even one for modeliing as the blue has always been questioned as to what mix's work best to recreate the colour match.

Damn harrison.. how many builds do you have going on.. 20? :lol::lol:

Looking forward to this, but I like that B26 the most. The box art picture of the surface is something I want to achieve if I ever do one.

Started on the P-51 tonight.... its the 1977 (?) Monogram kit and its REALLY nicely detailed but I still decided to use a resin seat. I only have to remove the fin fillet for this build and I'm hoping its problem free. Pics later/tomorrow.

Have a look at the line-up of P51 models in the Newark Musem thread H, it might inspire you. Right in the front of the first pic is a 'Blue Nosed' P51C.

Alright, I painted the floor with Testors 1/4oz jar "Wood"....

Where the instrument panel is, is that wood as well?

The radio and rack/ and joystick

The armor on the seat I have sources that is black OR interior green....should I leave it or switch?

Thats where I'm at on Cripes a Mighty 3rd.

Attachments

• 102_6956.JPG
    102_6956.JPG
    76.3 KB · Views: 228
  • 102_6957.JPG
    102_6957.JPG
    67.8 KB · Views: 211
  • 102_6958.JPG
    102_6958.JPG
    69.3 KB · Views: 213
  • 102_6959.JPG
    102_6959.JPG
    101.9 KB · Views: 214
  • 102_6960.JPG
    102_6960.JPG
    81.2 KB · Views: 213
I built the Monogram P-51 a while back H. Not a bad kit and still one of the best for dimensional accuracy of scale. Here's the thread if you want to follow along.http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/start-finish-builds/old-monogram-1-48-p-51d-revamp-17672.html

The only problem I recall is that the lower wing section had a very pronounced warp in it and that I could not get the proper dihedral. The other issue is that the carb air filter intakes have the covers molded on, a feature used during the winter months. If you want to remove these, you'll need to find a way to represent the grille. I ended up making my own decal for those as the holes are way to samll and closely spaced to get a proper pattern. Other than that, it went reasonably well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back