5 Favourite Planes

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

cheddar cheese

Major General
Jan 9, 2004
WSM, England
This thread was the lancs idea and 92.5% of the credit has to go to him 8)

Anyways, he was wondering what everybodies 5 favourite planes of world war 2 were, heres my list 8)

1. Piaggio P-108
2. Hawker Hurricane
3. Messerschmtt Bf-109
4. Heinkel He-177
5. Ilyushin IL-2

8)

It changes all the time :lol: but currently its:

1) Gloster Gladiator
2) Mitsubishi F1M 'Pete'
3) DH Mosquito
4) A6M 'Zero'
5) Vickers Wellington 'Wimpey'

\:D/

F4U-1A (due to the three-tone paint scheme :) )
F4U-1D (due to having a three-bladed prop)
F4U-4/-4B (Due to being in WWII and doing lots of ground attack)
F4U-2 (night fighter)
F4U-1 (fighter, but the canopy takes away from its beauty somewhat)

Other than Corsairs everything I like is about the same - SBD, TBF/TBM, P-61, Spitfire, Typhoon, Beaufighter, Yak-3, Zero, Val, Kate, and a bunch of others.

Archer said:
F4U-1A (due to the three-tone paint scheme :) )
F4U-1D (due to having a three-bladed prop)
F4U-4/-4B (Due to being in WWII and doing lots of ground attack)
F4U-2 (night fighter)
F4U-1 (fighter, but the canopy takes away from its beauty somewhat)

Other than Corsairs everything I like is about the same - SBD, TBF/TBM, P-61, Spitfire, Typhoon, Beaufighter, Yak-3, Zero, Val, Kate, and a bunch of others.

i think somebody's in love........................

(BTW, if you didn't guess, i was talking about Archers "obsession" with the corsair..........

Well whatever floats his boat - some might argue you're a little obsessed with Lancs? (not that theres anything wrong with that) ;)

yeah, but it's ok to be obsessed with the lanc, it's a great plane and worthy of an obsession, i mean you don't see a B-17 carrying a tallboy to almost any part of germany, do you?

Fighter Aircraft

Goodyear F2G-2 "Super Corsair"
Vought F4U-1 "Corsair" (Early Birdcage)
Goodyear FG-1D "Corsair"
Vought F4U-4 "Corsair"
Vought F4U-1A "Corsair" (First Bubble Canopy)

Prototpye Fighter (Well I thought it would be alright to added here)

Vought XF4U-3 "Corsair"
Vought F4U-4X "Corsair"
Goodyear XF2G-1 "Super Corsar"
Vought XF4U-1 "Corsair"
Vought XF4U-2 "Corsair" (First Night Fighter Corsair)

Fair enough :D i just wondered if there was any reason thats all - i'm a fan of Japanese aircraft myself - i just like the way they are designed - sleek and noble looking, i suppose i like them so much because it reflects their beautiful culture

this is a hard one....

Hawker hurricane
gloster gladiator
b-17 fort
de havilland mosquito
the old favorite the spitfire mkXVI

real hard choices....the above were choosen on what i like to look at and find out about...not nessecarrily cos they were shit hot planes.....but they blatenly were :!:

I've just thought about the Junkers Ju88: nightfighter...I havent seen it mentioned and yes I am aware it was a kraut machine...i still feel it is worthy of a mention...It was an excellent all rounder i think as a bomber and as a fighter......

I have never been a fan of German aircraft - i think they look evil...but credit where its due - it was a tough customer and a good plane (for a german effort) ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back