5 Favourite Planes

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Yeah, but the technique I've described is HOW they did it, plus the fact that Japan was banking on a short war, and squandered their best-trained pilots too early...After the big sea-battles that cost them so many pilots, the replacements were 'barely' trained, whereas the US had by then a truly awesome flight-training programme that was in full-gear...The point I was trying to make, and it was in no-way disparative of those truly-great US fighters, was simply that the Spits were always very manoevrable,[and Hurricanes], as well as having a better altitude-factor; US fighters were generally heavier, as well as more plentiful by then...In a down out dogfight, one on one, the Spitfires were perhaps the only fighters to be able to successfully engage them...I'm currently reading a US book of the first Kodachrome colour-photos seen of the Pacific War, entitled ' WWII Pacific War Eagles ' which clearly states on page 144, what I've just said, and it's beside a photo of 476 [RAAF] Sqn. Mk. LF VIII's Spitfires, [at Morotai] and it goes on to say ,' they had 1580hp Merlin 66's, a top speed of 404mph and a ceiling of 41,500ft, [which wasn't really needed in SEAC], mentioning particuarly Zeros Oscars, as on even terms, and what ''a valuable commodity'' they were '...C'mon Lightning, are you gonna argue with your OWN authors about it ???!!...As a Commonwealth person, it's exasperating sometimes to have Americans ramming down the throat that they were BEST at every **** thing....If you like, get the book and have a look, and look in particular at the photos where they bulldozed ALL these great US fighters in a heap an TORCHED THEM at war's end....lots of bloody LIGHTNINGS too...[ the book is ISBN 0-9629359-3-X]...Fair go, it's chaps like me that lend abit of EQUITY to this site.....

plan_D said:
Which was the Mustang III again? The cannon armed one?

It had two version, Plan_D. The first one was an almost exact copy of the P-51B. (They only replaced the orriginal hood by the Malcom hood.) This one had four Browining machine guns.

The second one (also called Mustang III), had this Malcom hood but they added 20mm cannons. (I don't know exactly how many cannons it had, but I have a picture here and it seems that they replaced the four machine guns by four 20mm cannons.)

Yes, it had four 20mm cannons. I was just trying to remember, I thought it was the cannon armed one, and I was right. :D

Isn't the FW190D-9 (Dora 9) the Ta152?

That was a simple answer, how about a little explantion as to what the Dora 9 was. I heard the British called it the 'Long nosed 190'

It was a long nosed 190. The Ta-152 was an advanced model with a Junkers 213 engine with Mw-50 (a type of nitrous gas) and 1,900hp-ish. It had a Mk108 30mm cannon firing through the hub like a Kurfurst-4 and two Mg151/20 20mm cannons, one in each wing root. Other than the new engine, the wing was longer - even longer than the fuselage - for high-alt work. Another change was the pressurization of the cockpit. Although made to be an interceptor, it spent most of its life protecting the Schwalbes during their vulnerable time at t/o and landing along with Fw-190 A's and D's, among other aircraft. As you can probably see, it saw little action in its intended role, so that is why there is little first-hand performance experience such as againt a Mustang or B-17. It was said to handle well and accelerate quickly. Few units received the type, but Jg7, a regular wunderwaffen reciever in my opinion, did. This was hand written and thought up entirely by my 13 year old self whether you want to believe it or not. If you want info on the D-9, just ask.

Why would I not believe it? You seem to be very good at English, thank you the explanation. Now match it on the Dora 9 explanation, please.

DAMN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm sorry plan_D, but the expalnation will have to come later as I was typing and already had a longer report than on the Ta-152, when i acidentially hit the "preview" button. When I pressed "back" on my browser, as I was using the quick reply window, all the information had been erased!
Oh well, I'll just go fly the D-9 to liven me up ad then you'll get your info. By the way, it wasn't because of the good English in the Ta-152 report (as I like to call it), it was how it was written - like an essay - , how ti seemed like a copy and paste jobby, and how informative it was.

I didn't think for a second it wasn't yours. Although I had the problem of people thinking that I had copied a certain German Invasion Plan of France and the Lowlands, which I did not.

That's right, who won that one!?! Now that's bragging.

The Dora-9 was an Fw-190 with its BMW radial exchanged for a Junkers Jumo 213 liquid-cooled engine. This produced the long-nose. A circular radiator was mounted an the front of the engine so that it still had the same of a radial. Armament was 2 20mm in the wing roots and 2 13mm in the cowl. It offered considerably better high altitude performace over the 190A with a top speed of 426 mph at 21,650ft.

Thanks, remind me though, what was the armament of the FW190A, I know the majority had 2x7.92 on the nose, with 2x20mm in the wing roots and I think I read somewhere some had 2x20mm on the outer wing. I also know some of the FW-190A had 2x13mm instead of 7.92, but since I haven't read about it in ages, I can't remember much.

I know that British intelligence told the pilots who first saw them that they were captured Mohawks :lol:

The initial 190As had 2 7.62mm in the nose, 2 20mm in the wing roots, and 2 slower firing 20mm in the outerwing. Later versions used 13 mm in the nose. Like most of the German planes, the 190 was subject to a nearly countless number of modifications and a lot of these removed or added to the armament.

Lightning Guy said:
The Dora-9 was an Fw-190 with its BMW radial exchanged for a Junkers Jumo 213 liquid-cooled engine. This produced the long-nose. A circular radiator was mounted an the front of the engine so that it still had the same of a radial. Armament was 2 20mm in the wing roots and 2 13mm in the cowl. It offered considerably better high altitude performace over the 190A with a top speed of 426 mph at 21,650ft.
BAH! My description was better! (I have an extra bit NO ONE knows as well... hee-hee-hee)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back