75th Anniversary : Sinking of Yamato Class Battleship - IJN Musashi

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Wayne Little

Staff
Mod
Oct 7, 2006
Adelaide Sth. Aust.
User Name: Wayne Little
Kit: Pit road IJN Musashi 1944
Scale : 1/700

With this year being the 75th Anniversary of the sinking of one of the largest and most powerfully armed battleships ever constructed, I thought it appropriate to now get my trilogy of the Yamato Class Ships happening.
I have been chipping away at the kit for a while now to get it done…

Displacing some 72,000t fully loaded she was armed with nine 46-centimetre (18.1 in) main guns, the largest mounted on a Battleship, Musashi (武蔵), was the second of three Yamato-class battleships built for the Imperial Japanese Navy.
On 24 October 1944 during the Battle of Leyte Gulf, in the Sibuyan Sea, IJN Musashi was attacked over a 5 hour period and struck by an estimated 19 torpedo and 17 bomb hits from American carrier-based aircraft.
Musashi was heavily damaged but It would take another 4 hours before she finally capsized and sank.
Of a crew of approximately 2400 some 1000 went down with the ship.
The wreck of Musashi was located in March 2015 by a team of researchers employed by Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen.
Further reading can be viewed at the following sites, the second of which provides some detailed analysis of the attack waves sent against Musashi and the punishment she sustained before sinking.
Japanese battleship Musashi - Wikipedia
Musashi: The Final Days « The USS Flier Project

Pit Road Musashi.jpg

The first pics, the main Hull with deck sections added..even though they are damn near invisible the are quite a number of holes drilled for various parts and Gun tubs and guns all long the deck.
1_Main Hull_2759.jpg
2_Hull & Decking_2914.jpg
3_Main Decking_2920.jpg

Thanks Guys.
There are lots of bits on this ship, so to keep it simple I have placed a Red dot next to each addition....Hose/Cable reels, AA tubs, Davits along the edge of the hull.
Deck is painted too.

5_Rear deck Components_3342a.jpg
6_Foredeck components_3341a.jpg
7_AA Tubs_3435a.jpg
8_Deck Painted_3574.jpg
9_Deck Painted_3575.jpg
10_Deck Glossed_3744a.jpg

:thumbright: Wayne, is the model of the water line type or the full hull one ?

Wojtek, it can be modelled in either waterline or full hull, i will be doing Waterline. Thanks for the pics Snautzer, they represent Yamato.

More pics of the build, now, the lower superstructure assembly and some of the AA gun platforms for the 25mm Triple Guns and the 127mm twin Guns.....
11_Lower Superstructure_3029.jpg
12_Lower Superstructure Assy_3030.jpg
13_Lower Superstructure Assy_3037.jpg
14_Lower Superstructure Assy_3071.jpg
15_Lower Superstructure Assy_3073.jpg
16_Lower Superstructure Assy_3075.jpg
17_Lower Superstructure Assy_3077.jpg
18_Lower Superstructure Assy_3079.jpg

Thanks Guys.

Today the 24th of October 1944 marks the day of Musashi's sinking having taken tremendous punishment from wave after wave of U.S carrier aircraft.

At this particular time of writing 5.30 Philippine time Musashi was down by the bow, water washing over the foredeck with a list to port of 10-12 degrees and still moving forward.....just before 7.30 she took on a further list of 30 Degrees and bow down slid into the depths of the Sibuyan sea

I continue the build now showing the Main and Secondary Turrets assembled and painted, along with the Superstructure Painted too.
The 3 semi circular sand bagged positions are one of the points of difference between Musashi and Yamato.
When last in port Musashi she was to receive 3 more Enclosed twin 127mm Anti Aircraft Guns, the same as those directly behind and above the sandbag positions, she did not have time for a complete refit, so instead 25mm Triple AA mounts were substituted.

26_Main Turret painted_3725.jpg
27_Main Turrets Painted_3757.jpg
28_Secondary Turrets painted_3755.jpg
29_Main superstructure Painted_3749.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back