9/11 Rememberance - 10 Years

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Njaco

The Pop-Tart Whisperer
Feb 19, 2007
Southern New Jersey
In a few days it will be the 10th anniversary of the attacks against the USA by terrorists. I wanted to start a thread early so that we can remember and prepare for those of us affected by the event to commemorate those lost. The pics posted here I collected to set the stage - so to speak. To me, each one is very powerful. Please post anything you want to remember, your thoughts and any pics you feel is appropriate.

WARNING: I will not tolerate any conspiracy theorists or naysayers or any garbage about the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. This is for that Tuesday in September when the world changed for us in America.

At the time, I had a sister-in-law who worked as a para-legal on Wall St. in New York. When the attacks happened, we were unable to get in touch with her. Many hours of sweating and hand-wringing before she called in the afternoon to say she was ok. She was evacuated from the area and it took awhile before she knew what was happening. She said the dust was incredible.

Another sister-in-law (yes, I married into a large family) worked as a real estate agent for military personnel at the Pentagon. She lived only a few miles from there just outside Wash DC proper. Again, finding out if she was ok was difficult. But by afternoon she had made contact. She told of almost the exact same thing as her sister and how confusion reigned.

Because of my closeness with law enforcement and animals, by late afternoon, everybody was gearing up to help. Many Police officers I know just grabbed a few things and left for NY. Our Animal Control Association was put on stand-by incase rescue was needed for animals from nearby apartments, etc. It was hectic and I was glued to the TV reports. Eventually we were not needed but the anxiety was palpable.

Its very hard for me sometimes to look at scenes of the attacks. There is something there that brings a heavy feeling of pain. Its something I just can't fathom. Even though I've immersed myself with the horrors of war all these years, some things you just can't swallow.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 433
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 448
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    244.4 KB · Views: 454
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 448
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 415
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 437
  • 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 418
  • 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 451
  • 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 422
  • 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 452
  • 011.jpg
    011.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 449
  • 012.jpg
    012.jpg
    230.5 KB · Views: 430
  • 013.jpg
    013.jpg
    224.2 KB · Views: 423
  • 014.jpg
    014.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 460
  • 015.jpg
    015.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 462
  • 016.jpg
    016.jpg
    218.2 KB · Views: 427
  • 017.jpg
    017.jpg
    173 KB · Views: 417
  • 018.jpg
    018.jpg
    251.9 KB · Views: 401
  • 019.jpg
    019.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 402
  • 019a.jpg
    019a.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 403
  • 020.jpg
    020.jpg
    232 KB · Views: 423
  • 021.jpg
    021.jpg
    193.4 KB · Views: 402
  • 022.jpg
    022.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 386
  • 023.jpg
    023.jpg
    186.1 KB · Views: 460
  • 0120.jpg
    0120.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 1,933
  • 0121.jpg
    0121.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 386
  • 0122.jpg
    0122.jpg
    170.5 KB · Views: 367
Last edited:
4th photo down just reminds me of Lady Liberty saying "bring it on, when the smoke clears I am going to kick your ASS."

waving the Flag undefeated and never will be . . . . .

It is a great honor for me this year to be part of a 9/11 memorial flyover. I didn't personally know anyone who was killed or injured, but it was a blow to all of us as Americans (and many others). We must never forget this.

have been watching a lot of programs this week about that tragic day, still very thought Provoking for me, cant imagine how it feels for those close by or any American for that matter.

lets never forget !

i remember driving to work that morning, the reporters weren't sure what had happened at that point, only that an aircraft had struck the first tower. It wasn't until a little later that it was becoming alarmingly clear that this was an attack along with the feeling of surprise as it unfolded.

Then came the anger.

The anger was in a number of forms: one, that this was happening to civilians and secondly, not being able to do anything about it as it was happening. And since I work directly with public safety, I could see the same on the faces of the Fire and Law Enforcement folks all around me that day and the days that followed.

My only fear is that we (and by saying "we", I mean free people everywhere) will forget this costly lesson and allow history to repeat itself... :/

I remember exactly where I was sitting and watching it on a 3" hand held portable tv and talking with my (then) wife. Still very surreal after all these years.

I like that bottom pic the best!

like you I remember too well watching the second plane hit the tower on TV you knew after seeing the first tower aflame and smoking we had been attacked you didn't need the second craft to tell you any different.

~ weird but I also remember what I was doing when President John F. Kennedy was assassinated in Texas as well.

could this happen in this magnitude again ? yes

I had the radio off on my drive in to work that morning. Walked in, walked back to the break room, where the TV was on as usual.....and stopped, staring at the image of the first tower burning. It wasn't long after I got to work that the second plane hit, then the Pentagon (or vice versa, not sure which), and reports of a fourth plane down in Pennsylvania somewhere. My first words to anyone that morning were a very heartfelt "nuke the bastards." Later on, I walked over and grabbed a pack of magnetic business cards, and started printing American flags on them, and giving them to the few customers we had in the store that day. Everyone who worked got one, too. Of course, a week later, we were selling the things for a buck. Kinda made me mad, to stoop to selling them, but it wasn't my decision. I had a large yard flag somewhere in my apartment, but didn't have a yard to put it in, so I took it off the flimsy dowel and laid it over the trunk cover in the back of my car. It stayed there for the next5 or 6 years, until I got rid of the car and got a truck with no good place to put the flag. Its now triangle-folded and sitting on top of a bookcase here in my room, next to one of my submarine plaques.

I was working and had followed the story as it occured from the time they said a small aircraft had hit the tower to its conclusion , the toughedt moment was when I was finishing a delivery about a 100meters from the bridge to cross river to enter US , and had to tell some old guy with american license plates who asked me for directions on the quickest way to Buffalo that the border had been closed and he couldn't head home . He knew nothing about the attack until I told him and the poor guy couldn't go home but could see it plain as day 200 meters away.
We had hundreds of trucks that were in the same position and every flat hard surface in the city had of semi's parked waiting for the border to open

Njaco, exceptionally powerful pictures. The man falling hits the hardest, the pure terror that must have driven him to jump to his death is difficult to imagine, may God give peace to his tortured soul as well as to the others that suffered so horribly that day, "that will live in infamy"
I was at a school working alone, oblivious, when a teacher came in and told be that New York and Washington were under attack by aircraft. My idiotic remark: "You're kidding" We went on the internet and found a live feed in time to see the second aircraft hit the other tower. We also, students as well, watched the towers come down.
Don't have a lot of years left, but I, for one, will never forget

Attachments

• flagthalfmast.gif
    flagthalfmast.gif
    13.3 KB · Views: 323
  • prnphotos066551-JEAN-ALBANO-GALLERY.jpg
    prnphotos066551-JEAN-ALBANO-GALLERY.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 334
Last edited:
Beat me to it, Eric. I was just about to post that. All I can say is, reading the end, that man is one Hard Corps hero in ANYBODY'S book. :salute:

Yep, without a doubt. Now I see him splashed across the headlines on Yahoo. It's quite a story of a warrior who understood "Duty, honor, courage". His wife runs a memorial page for him that includes a photo of a statue made of him for the National Infantry Museum. Look at this:
a123.jpg

That's Alan Lynch, Joe Marm, Hal Moore and Rick's widow, Susan Rescorla. Notice that Mr Lynch and Mr. Marm are wearing CMHs. I have only seen one person with the Medal of Honor in my life. It must have been a huge honor to be standing with two!

Sorry, didn't mean to derail your thread, Chris, but this guy was one of the heroes on 9/11.

I was in middle school when it happened. school had just started, and I woke up late that morning. I had wondered why my mother hadn't woken me up to take me to school. when I got out into the living room....I found out why....I remember seeing the pentagon on fire. and I think I said; without even thinking: "somebody left the stove on" then they went back to New York just in time to show the second plane hit the south tower. I asked my mom "who would do this?" and she replied "terrorists, rob"

to be honest, the reality of it didn't hit me until later. and since the reality hit me, I've been mourning those innocent people more and more each anniversary.

and this year...is the hardest it's ever hit me....

Last edited:
Its strange how it seems to be a long time ago when i think of 9/11 sometimes...then I'll see those images of the Twin Towers, the Pentagon or that smoking hole with debris in PA..and it feels like it just happened.

This is such an important day to remember; to honor all those lost and the survivors.
Derek

Users who are viewing this thread

Back