A 10 club

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Yes the A-10 was designed around the cannon which goes from nose to just in front of the wing including the ammo drum. As for being replase anytime soon, that would be a tremendous mistake.

Boy, those fuel air bombs are wicked. I had never even heard of them. I sort of want to see the movie again just for that one scene now.

LTARaptr said:
Yes the A-10 was designed around the cannon which goes from nose to just in front of the wing including the ammo drum. As for being replase anytime soon, that would be a tremendous mistake.

I really doubt that they will replace it anytime soon. After actually seeing the power that they have in Iraq, I am sure they will not replace them soon.

Oh....... I know they won't. It's not in my gov's nature to retire any military machine until they have completely out lived their usefulness case in point the Buff-52. The "Hog" will be around for quite a while, but that's just my opinion I could be wrong.

The newest A10's are now over 20 years old. Its not a question of "if", but when they will need major maintence and overhauls. That will be quite expensive.

Technology is marching on and its inevitable that close air support in a defended airspace will be performed by drones and UAV's.

The B52 has been around for so long because its airframe is so big its adaptable for any mission. Plus it fly's at 30,000 feet which provides it with a bit of immunity to most SAM's.

syscom3 said:
The newest A10's are now over 20 years old. Its not a question of "if", but when they will need major maintence and overhauls. That will be quite expensive.

Technology is marching on and its inevitable that close air support in a defended airspace will be performed by drones and UAV's.

The B52 has been around for so long because its airframe is so big its adaptable for any mission. Plus it fly's at 30,000 feet which provides it with a bit of immunity to most SAM's.

At 50,000 feet you're not immuned to SAMS!

http://www.aeronautics.ru/nws001/ruairdef001.htm

syscom3 said:
B52's wont fly in contested airspace. At 30,000 feet the smaller shoulder fired SAMS and most AAA wont reach that high.

No - look at linebacker II. 10 B-52s were brought down by SAMs, another 16 were damaged, if you think you're safe at 30,000 or even 50,000 feet you're dreaming.....

The B-52 tactical role is now a low level standoff and interdiction. The only reason they've been recently used at high altitude was because there was no AA to bring them down.

See this...

http://www.fas.org/nuke/guide/usa/bomber/n19991119_992119.htm

Im talking about now, not 1972.

If the enemy had the SAMS capable of reaching the higher latitudes, other AF aircraft would take out the launchers before the B52's got around.

syscom3 said:
Im talking about now, not 1972.

If the enemy had the SAMS capable of reaching the higher latitudes, other AF aircraft would take out the launchers before the B52's got around.

As in 1972 AND TODAY you cannot send a B-52 into hostile airspace unless you have air superiority, and in essence the B-52s real role today is LOW LEVEL!!!

And just to say you're going to take out SAM launchers is easier said than done. We did it against Iraq, do you think we would of had the same cakewalk against the Soviet Union?!? I don't think so!!!!

Against a formidable enemy the B-52 cannot operate at high altitude, it's best used as a standoff weapon at low level, that's why the USAF changed its rold and modified it just to do that. The high altitude missions it has been undertaking are accomplished becuase the enemy has no SAMs.

Yeap your right FBJ. That is why we were flying at about 25ft through Iraq even a year after the Iraqi Army fell.

Here is info on the usual MANPADS that were encounter in Iraq:

SA-7 GRAIL 9K32M Strela-2
HN-5 (Hongying 5) China
Anza MKI - Pakistan
Ayn as Saqr - Egypt

Specifications
Date of Introduction 1972
Proliferation Worldwide
Crew 1
Launcher Name 9P54M
Length (m) 1.47
Diameter (mm) 70
Weight (kg) 4.71
Reaction Time 5-10 seconds (acquisition to fire)
Time Between Launches (sec) INA
Reload Time (sec) 6-10
Missile Name 9M32M
Max. Range 5,500 meters
Min. Range 500 meters
Max. Altitude 4,500 meters
Min. Altitude 18 meters
Length (m) 1.40
Diameter (mm) 70
Weight (kg) 9.97
Missile Speed (m/s) 580
Propulsion Solid fuel booster and solid fuel sustainer rocket motor.
Guidance Passive IR homing device (operating in the medium IR range)
Seeker Field of View 1.9°
Tracking Rate 6°/sec
Warhead Type HE
Warhead Weight (kg) 1.15
Fuze Type Contact (flush or grazing)
Self-Destruct (sec) 15
FIRE CONTROL Launcher has sighting device and a target acquisitionindicator.
The gunner visually identifies and acquires the target.
Gunner Field of View INA
Acquisition Range (m) INA
VARIANTS SA-N-5 Naval version
HN-5A Chinese version
Strela 2M/A Yugoslavian upgrade
Sakr Eye Egyptian upgrade
Mounted in several types of vehicles in four, six, and eight-tube launcher varieties.
Can be mounted on several helicopters (Mi-24, S-342 Gazelle)

SA-14 GREMLIN 9K34 Strela-3

Specifications
Designation 9K34 Strela-3
Date of Introduction 1978
Proliferation Worldwide
Crew 1
Launcher Name 9P59
Dimensions
Length (m) 1.40
Diameter (mm) 75
Weight (kg) 2.95
Reaction Time (sec) 14
Time Between Launches (sec) 35-40
Reload Time (sec) 25
Missile Name 9M36 or 9M36-1
Max. Range (m) 6,000
Min. Range (m) 600
Max. Altitude (m) 6,000
Min. Altitude (m) 50
Length (m) 1.4 m
Diameter (mm) 75 mm
Fin Span (mm) INA
Weight (kg) 10.3
Missile Speed (m/s) 600
Propulsion 2-stage solid-propellant rocket
Guidance passive IR homing
Seeker Field of View INA
Tracking Rate INA
Warhead Type Frag-HE
Warhead Weight (kg) 1.0
Fuze Type Contact/grazing
Self-Destruct (sec) 14-17
FIRE CONTROL Sights w/Magnification
Launch tube has simple sights
Gunner Field of View ( o ) INA
Acquisition Range (m) INA
IFF Yes
VARIANTS Igla 9M39 (SA-N-8) Naval version

SA-16 GIMLET Igla-1 9K310

Specifications
Maximum Speed 2+ Mach
Effective Altitude 3,500 m
Effective Range 500 -- 5,000 m
Altitude 10-3500 m
Warhead HE 2kg
Guidance passive 2-color IR and
UV homing
Fuze Contact and graze
Kill Radius Unknown

SA-18 GROUSE Igla 9K38
SA-N-10 GROUSE Igla-M

Specifications
Contractor
Entered Service
Total length
Diameter
Wingspan
Weight
Warhead Weight
Propulsion
Maximum Speed
Maximum effective range 5200 meters
altitude, (m) 10-3500

Guidance mode passive IR homing
emplace/displace time 13 sec
Single-shot hit probability

So as you can see the yes the MANPADS do not have the range or alltitude to reach a high flying aircraft however these SAMs can reach aircraft at these alltitudes: SA-1: 60,000ft to 80,000ft, SA-2: 100m to 100km alltitude, SA-4: 100m to 27,000m, SA-6: 80m to 11,000m. These are just the older missles, what about the new stuff. As you can see even a B-52 flying at 50,000ft is in direct threat of being shot down by SAMs. As FBJ said most B-52 missions now call for low alltitude flying.

The reason for this, believe it or not, is visability and below the radar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back