A-Bombing Germany

which plane?

• other........... (post below the plane you think.........)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The Lincoln has been mentioned as a reason why the Lancaster wouldn't have been used. This is from the book Avro Lancaster by Bill Sweetman, "From the RAF's point of view, the Lincoln's most serious drawback was that its speed and altitude were not high enough to escape safely from the blast of a nuclear weapon." Since the Lincoln couldn't do it I don't see how the Lanc could have. And I'm not sure the Mossie could have either. We are talking about a 10,000lb bomb that would have to be carried several hundred miles at least.

Fair enough. I might be inclined to argue that a specially modified Mossie could do it, but it's a moot point anyway - they'd have used a B-29. ;)

A Mossie might have been able to. But the load, height, and range just might not have worked out. Anway, the B-29 definitely could do it and would have been the Allies choice.

yhea and if they did it would fall from the bomb bay the metal was only 1cm thick

Well, if hypothetically there was a major stuff-up with the Invasion say, 'Time-frame' and all , and they THEN had no choice but to use a nuke, I STILL think some typically brave RAF Bomber crew would've chucked one in an 'easily-adaptable' Lancaster, and done the DEED....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back