A-Bombing Germany

which plane?

• other........... (post below the plane you think.........)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

syscom 3 said:
Because the B29 was available and far superior to a Lincoln

how was it far superior, if they were superior why didn't we cancel our lincoln contracts and keep our Washingtons?? and if the stage was reached where we would have to use the atom over Europe it can be assumed that the war would've gone on a few months longer, the prototype lincoln first flew in 1944 so they would've been ready, and if not a lincoln why not a lancaster Mk.VI, they were in use..........

102first_hussars said:
Listen Im not going to argue, I have a different opinion accept it and move on, you dont always have to be right.

No your opinion is not wrong or bad. You are entitled to your opinion. Secondly I never claim to allways be right, I do not try to be right and I dont care if I am right or wrong all the time. I am hear to learn things and hopefully help others learn things.

This is not an argument here. You are the one that feels backed into a corner and that is not my problem. All I want to know is what bomber was more advanced than the B-29, statistically and performance wise. I dont think there is one.

the lancaster kicks ass said:
syscom 3 said:

how was it far superior, if they were superior why didn't we cancel our lincoln contracts and keep our Washingtons?? and if the stage was reached where we would have to use the atom over Europe it can be assumed that the war would've gone on a few months longer, the prototype lincoln first flew in 1944 so they would've been ready, and if not a lincoln why not a lancaster Mk.VI, they were in use..........

Actually they were partly replaced by the Washingtons because the Washingtons had a longer range than the Linclon. The Lincoln was completely replaced when the V Bombers came out. Lets make a comparison here between the Lincoln and the B-29 or your Washington as you like to call it.

Lincoln

Wingspan: 120 ft (36.58 m)
Length: 78 ft 34 in (23.86 m)
Height: 17 ft 34 in (5.27 m)
Weight: 43,400 lb (19686 kg) empty, 75,000 lb (34019 kg) max take-off
Powerplant: four 1,750 hp (1305 kW) Rolls-Royce Merlin 85 piston engines
Maximum speed: 295 mph (475 km/h) at 15,000 ft (4750 m)
Range: 1,470 miles (2366 km) with maximum bomb-load
Service ceiling: 30,500 ft (9295 m)
Armament:
Twin .50 cal (12.7 mm) M2 machine guns in nose, dorsal and tail turrets,
alternatively twin 20mm cannon in dorsal turret
Up to 22,000 lb (6350 kg) of bombs
Crew: 7,
front gunner / bomb aimer
pilot
flight engineer / co-pilot
navigator
wireless operator,
dorsal gunner
rear gunner

B-29

Crew: 10: pilot, co-pilot, flight engineer, bombardier, navigator, radio operator, side gunners (two), top gunner, and tail gunner
Length: 99 ft 0 in (30.2 m)
Wingspan: 141 ft 3 in (43.1 m)
Height: 27 ft 9 in (8.5 m)
Wing area: 1736 ft² (161.3 m²)
Empty: 74,500 lb (33,800 kg)
Loaded: 120,000 lb (54,000 kg)
Maximum takeoff: 133,500 lb (60,560 kg)
Powerplant: 4× Wright R-3350-23 supercharged radial engines, 2,200 hp (1600 kW) each

Performance
Maximum speed: 357 mph (574 km/h)
Cruising speed: 220 mph (350 km/h)
Combat range: 3,250 miles (5,230 km)
Ferry range: 5,600 miles (9,000 km)
Service ceiling: 33,600 ft (10,200 m)
Rate of climb: 900 ft/min (270 m/min)
Wing loading: 69.12 lb/ft² (337 kg/m²)
Power/mass: 0.073 hp/lb (121 W/kg)
[edit]
Armament
12× .50 in (12.7 mm) M2 machine guns in remote controlled turrets
1× 20 mm M2 cannon in tail
20,000 lb (9,072 kg) of bombs

So now for the comparison. And the winners are:

Size: B-29
Max Take Off Weight: B-29
Power Plant: B-29
Max Speed: B-29
Range: B-29
Service Cieling: B-29
Defensive Armament: B-29
Bomb Load: Lincloln

In 8 catagories the B-29 wins in 7 of them. The Lincoln can carry 2000 lb more of bombs. To be honest the 20,000lb figure for the B-29 I am not sure that is correct because I am sure the B-29 can carry just as much as the Lincoln. So overall the B-29 is the more superior bomber.

The B29 could carry larger bomb loads at the cost of less fuel.

The bomb bay was huge, and aside from a few of the over sized bombs the Lanc carried, the B29 could still carry more, and still farther then the Lincoln

the lancaster kicks ass said:
syscom 3 said:

how was it far superior, if they were superior why didn't we cancel our Lincoln contracts and keep our Washingtons?? and if the stage was reached where we would have to use the atom over Europe it can be assumed that the war would've gone on a few months longer, the prototype Lincoln first flew in 1944 so they would've been ready, and if not a Lincoln why not a lancaster Mk.VI, they were in use..........

From what I understand the Washington was actually "loaned" to the RAF until the Canberra was available in sufficient numbers....

http://home.att.net/~jbaugher2/b29_13.html

Once the V bombers came on the scene, the Lincoln's days were numbered as a primary stategic bomber...

The Lincoln, while formidable and having the ability to carry a slightly heavier "normal" bomb load than the B-29 was no way as advanced. There were many internal "accessories" that the -29 had that put it at least a half a step above the Lincoln.

Great post Adler!

syscom3 said:
The B29 could carry larger bomb loads at the cost of less fuel.

The bomb bay was huge, and aside from a few of the over sized bombs the Lanc carried, the B29 could still carry more, and still farther then the Lincoln

Agreed...the range stats Adler posted show that the Lincoln can carry 22,000 of bombs 1,470 miles...The B-29 can carry 20,000lbs of bombs well over twice that distance...

FLYBOYJ said:
From what I understand the Washington was actually "loaned" to the RAF until the Canberra was available in sufficient numbers....

That is correct. The Lincolns main downfall was its range. Therefore the RAF borrowed B-29s and called them Boeing Washingtons until the V Bombers came online. Once they did they were all returned to the United States by 1955.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back