Shoot it down?

• Yes, Fighter

Votes: 7 77.8%
  • Yes, ADA

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • No

Votes: 1 11.1%

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

AIM-9X has an array able to detect a target by just its reflection into the UV wavelength.

As for the reason why didn't they shoot it down over the Pacific?

It went via the northern Jetstream, upon through Manchuria, into Alaska, down through the Great White North to the Great Plains missile fields.
And that's the 'why' - What was it up to over the missile fields. Ground Penetrating Radar? ELINT? SIGINT? Patterns of life?
It was however shadowed throughout its journey over CONUS by Dragons and there is chatter that it wasn't a passive ballon, but was calling home via a satellite uplink.

As to 'why not shoot it down over CONUS'? Its probably fitted with an explosive anti tamper charge in case it goes rouge and lands. How big? Just a grenade sized anti tamper device, or a very major explosive charge able to destroy the entire package?

As to its trip over CONUS, everyone will have gone EMCON and been concealing activities, so its an intel bust for the Chinese, but an intel goldmine for the US now they have it in their hands.

The thing that amuses me amongst all the BS rants over this by some is that they fail to consider the possibility that the US Military knew very well what it was doing and could have been using this as a opportunity to feed misinformation back to China. After all it isn't like the path wasn't predictable with plenty of time to react. It's not like it was a hypersonic recon bird after all.

Mind you, given the way it has fuelled the moron crowd, I could imagine the Chinese laughing and giving themselves the "Mission Accomplished" pats on the back with all of this even if nothing was even fitted to the balloon.

"Next, trying to shoot a missile at the balloon, which has next to no RCS, would be complicated,"

Reportedly they used an AIM-9X, which although "heat seeking" actually has a rather wider homing spectrum than that. They've had AIM-9's that could hit an airplane from the front, rather than home on the tailpipe, for over 40 years now, and they did not stop with that improvement, either.

The AIM-9X is an imaging seeker, not really heat seeking. I mean, sure, it works in the IR (and maybe other spectrum also) but it works by detecting the contrast of the edges / shape of the target. And IR is a world of contrast. Your eyes work the same way, when looking at those pictures of that balloon you see the round, balloon, shape of the envelope, and cannot really make out any texture on the surface. So you shape it, and your mind tracks it, by detecting the edges or other easily identifiable features.

The following image (3 - 5 micron range) demonstrates how small temperature changes are easily detected in the IR, and so the edges of things are easy to detect / track. This picture is part of the carpeted floor in the hallway of my old house. About 60 seconds prior to this image my daughter walked down the hallway at a regular walking pace. The temperature difference is how much her foot warmed the carpet up in the sub second contact period of each footstep.
16789180.Footprints.jpg

Using a contrast tracker any one of those footprints could be detected and used as a "tracking" point, within the boundaries of this image, naturally, not claiming the -9X can kill a footprint ;)

T!

They also would have been required to file a NOTAM, even for flight over open ocean areas.. I wonder about the correlation of the balloon launch and the NOTAM system going down.

Some years ago a launch operation for a USN satellite was underway at Cape Canaveral. Then Range Safety got word that the impact area for the 1st stage booster was not clear. Turned out that a USN carrier battlegroup was sailing through it. Don't know if they forgot to check the NOTAMS or that they figured they were big enough and bad enough that they did not need to.

China probing American will in a very clumsy manner. They may not have gotten the memo.
Could be Russia. Flying something from their easternmost shores. They've done it before this decade, though never over the line.

I was at the Dollar Tree store a few weeks back and some poor lady bought some HE balloons after which two of them got way from her in the parking lot. It probably was one of those.

Back in 1984 we were trying to launch a TIROS satellite on an Atlas from VAFB in CA. It was in November; WX was terrible and the available time periods for NOAA were three days on and three off, which synchronized perfectly with the cold fronts coming down the coast. We launched three balloons for each launch to get winds aloft info and it took us 14 launch attempts. We wondered if some farmer far to the East was having the balloons land on him and wondering whathell was going on.

Could be Russia. Flying something from their easternmost shores. They've done it before this decade, though never over the line.

No problem either way, in fact better if the second is Russian -- now both are on notice that what's set aloft over our skies may be brought down.

I'm hoping we'll now see Canada invest in its NORAD commitments. With presumably Chinese or Russian UFOs flying over Alaska, the US won't tolerate Canada shirking its air defence responsibilities. Canada needs to give a serious think to Pacific and Arctic defence. It's only a matter of time before a PLAN nuclear attack submarine transits across the north of Canada, if not already. Unlike Canada, China has the capability.

I'm hoping we'll now see Canada invest in its NORAD commitments. With presumably Chinese or Russian UFOs flying over Alaska, the US won't tolerate Canada shirking its air defence responsibilities. Canada needs to give a serious think to Pacific and Arctic defence. It's only a matter of time before a PLAN nuclear attack submarine transits across the north of Canada, if not already. Unlike Canada, China has the capability.
Significant upgrades were announced last summer.

Significant upgrades were announced last summer.
Good. Now if we can get a quartet of SSNs to watch the icepack.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back