A Critical Analysis of the RAF Air Superiority Campaign in India, Burma and Malaya in 1941-45

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Best that could have been done for our Hurricanes in November 1942 would have been mods as per Sea Hurricane IIc which would have given them another 13 mph and strengthened wing as per Hurricane IV to increase dive speed to 450 mph.

The RAF could not win with the Hurricane or P40 in 1942 in any theatre, for that you needed Spitfires.

The RAF could not win with the Hurricane or P40 in 1942 in any theatre, for that you needed Spitfires.
Possibly, but the whole idea of bringing the Spitfire to the theatre was because we did not want parity, we wanted superiority, and that is what the Spitfire delivered, first in the Med and then in the Far East. As a pilot, would you want to fly the Hurricane or P-40 against the Ki-43 and know you had a 60:40 chance, or a Spitfire VIII and know the enemy has virtually no chance?

Don't know what they did to the IV but it could dive at 450 max.

So could the earlier marks, I'm not sure what the reasoning was behind the 390 mph limit in the Pilot's Notes. If I had to guess I'd say safety considerations re: elevator stiffness.

Everything I have says 390 mph ASI. All marks.

Except for early versions of the Mk.I notes, which have no dive speed limit, just RPM limits.

edit: found an early amendment insert for Mk.I notes which lists 380 IAS.

But the Hurricane and the P-40 (along with the F4F) were not only holding the Japanese, but pushing back.
When the Spitfire first arrived in the PTO/CBI, it suffered high losses and it's short range put it initially at a disadvantage.
So the Spitfire wasn't a "magic bullet".

Until the Spitfire VIII arrived in 1944. Then it was game, set and match.

The only reason the Hurricane and P40 were used was because there was nothing else, the MkV running 16 psi boost could take on anything it met except the FW190, that problem was solved with the MkIX. Those three planes along with the Me109F/G where in another league compared to the Hurri and P40.

There seems to be a misconception that the Allied fighters in the CBI were ineffective until the Spitfire arrived in 1943/44 and this is not quite true.

The Allies had (in addition to the Hurricane IIA/C and P-40B/C/E) the P-43A-1and Mohawk (replaced by Spit VIII in Jan 44, by the way) all of which contributed in reducing the numbers of IJA and IJN aircraft and pilots until newer Allied types became available.

The Japanese were feeling the pressure so much by 1943, that the 2nd Hiko Chutai pressed several captured P-40Es into service during the defense of Rangoon. This is a pretty good indicator of how things were going by the time the Spitfires were starting to arrive in theater.

In my case, I see history through the details.

In my recent post, I wasn't listing all the fighter types present in the theater, just the ones that were effective at stopping the Japanese.

Otherwise, I would have incuded such types as the P-66, I-15, Boomerang, P-26, CR.32, Buffalo, D.510, Wirraway, I-16, CW-21B, I-153 and so on.

Hardly flag-waving, right?

The argument is the P40 and Hurricane were effective front line fighters which they weren't, both, and the much maligned Zero were second line fighters from 1942-43 onwards.

Users who are viewing this thread