A Fake Japanese Flag on eBay

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Shinpachi

Lieutenant Colonel
Feb 17, 2008
Osaka
Yesterday, a friend of mine in US asked me if the antique flag on eBay is real or not.

I immediately answered "it's a fake!"
In case of the vertical writing of Japanese letters, no Japanese wrote and write them from the left to the right. I attach an image of my correction in below. There are so many errors of Chinese characters, contents and date too.

Be careful.

Attachments

• Hinomaru_Flag_Pearl_Harbor_01_Correction_S.JPG
    Hinomaru_Flag_Pearl_Harbor_01_Correction_S.JPG
    57.8 KB · Views: 306
Last edited:
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks guys:)

Writing can be read -
"May your attack on Pearl Harbor at three o'clock tomorrow morning be successful. Do your best."

Thanks Shinpachi-sama, I also saw this flag previously and thought it is questionable. I see thousands of such (real) flags still exist and personally I don't like any of the flags be sold in such a manner, but at the same time I understand that to sell and buy, giving a flag some measurable value, shall be the only way the flags be preserved (by somebody) into the future.

How about this one? I found while searching photos of the B-24. I can't remember where it had been on but the signature on the lower right on the flag seems like "Hideki Tojo."

Attachments

• 500-3-JapFlag.gif
    500-3-JapFlag.gif
    63.8 KB · Views: 238
Thanks everyone for your concern about this topic!

The flag that ppopsie has introduced is also considered fake.

1. All letters are thought writen by a person because writing style is all same.
2. The two red seals on the top makes no sense.
3. The handwriting by "Hideki Tojo" does not match his own style for signature at all.

Thanks!

Attachments

• 500-3-JapFlag.JPG
    500-3-JapFlag.JPG
    26.7 KB · Views: 283
  • Tojo_trimmed.JPG
    Tojo_trimmed.JPG
    74.1 KB · Views: 221
In addition, the Chinese character for "ki" of "Hideki" is close to the modern simplified Chinese.
Total atmosphere of the flag is different from Japanese.....

Oh, thanks Capt. Vick for your comment!

Last edited:
Thanks Wurger.

I have known there are not a few fakes in the market.
Attached is also a fake. Very poor handwriting with wrong letters and no autograph:|
Sad.

Attachments

• !Bz9Hh,!EWk~$(KGrHqR,!jgEw49-Sp1OBMYPSDRpNw~~_3.jpg
    !Bz9Hh,!EWk~$(KGrHqR,!jgEw49-Sp1OBMYPSDRpNw~~_3.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 179

Users who are viewing this thread

Back