A first airplane ride.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Which video sys? I don't see it here on my end.

My first flight was when I turned 12. My parents asked what I wanted for my birthday and all I wanted was flying. So nobody gave presents, but just money for a rather expensive flight in a Piper Cherokee. Flew from Eelde airport near Groningen over my house in Winschoten and back. I had a great time, especially when I was allowed to hold the controls for a minute. I have a picture of the aircraft, but I'll have to scan it first.

mine was a family holiday to Guernsey in the Channel islands flew in a Britten-Norman islander, i remember the weather was pretty rough but we had 4 Nuns on board with us and my Dad said loudly that there was no way that god would let anything happen to this flight with them on board, as we were bouncing around like a kangaroo on a space hopper !!!
people were being sick and screaming but i loved it.

came home on a ferry as my step mam would not fly again !

My first small plane ride was in the front seat of a Pitts. I was 46, doing sign painting and worked 11 hours on two of them, an aerobatic team, at the Livermore (LVK) airport. The first thing we did was a hammerhead. Bob helicoptered on the prop before kicking in the rudder. It was fantastic, and just got better!

Beauty!
Mine was in an Auster, for around 45 minutes. Caught the bug and never recovered!
That little girl looked so happy !! Just off to wipe me eyes ......

Mine was in a Vickers Viscount in '62 flying from Melbourne to Hobart.
After spending 3 weeks on the SS Iberia it seemed very fast ...

I was in a twin engine job (too young to know civvie models at that age). Pilot was an ex-navy A-6 driver. He pointed below us at large two engine cargo/passenger plane (Fokker perhaps? I remember long slender wings with two props), said "Enemy, 10 o'clock, and then proceeded with a wing over dive". I remember being disappointed that he couldn't complete the run due to "safety" reasons. He even let me take the controls at one point. I was in seventh heaven.

wow...watching that video brought back a cascade of great memories from my childhood!

The oldest recollection of mine is boarding a big silver bird for a trip to San Francisco with my Parents...it was a radial engined job and I still remember the sound of it firing up even to this day. Then the rides over the years growing up around our friend's warbirds and in our family's Cherokee Warrior as well. Good times, all of them.

It was a great thing to see the look on her face from start to finish, thanks for sharing the vid, Sys! :thumbleft:

my first airplane ride was when I was 3. from Boston to Frankfurt. all I remember was the plane had 3 rows of seats. mom filled in the blanks by telling me it was Northwest, and that it was the biggest airplane she'd ever seen. I therefore classified it as a Boeing 747. :) however, there's a good chance it was TWA, because I remember having a bunch of those little propeller swizzle sticks with "TWA molded into the plastic.

My first ride was in a twin engine turbo-prop out of Wichita, Kansas to Dallas, Texas. I was impressed. My first small aircraft was a T-34B. You guys have seen the shots of that ride.:lol:

Some good memories.....

I should say my First ride was in a DC4 maybe, from Portland Oregon to Oakland, I was maybe 9, alone. In them days the stewardess could be assigned to look after the kids flying alone. 1952!

Now That is asking too much. Sorry no. Don't think it was a Connie either, were they flying in '52?

I got to do some of the first signs for the air museum there, some markings on the Solent, and lettering at Mike Bogue's shop on John Crockers planes, Mustang and Tiger Cat.

cant remember my first ride. it was probably in a tri-champ that my dad sold to buy a business and i was pretty young. just grew up going up in cessnas, pipers, and stinsons on sunny sunday afternoons. we'd stop at another airport for a burger or ice cream....miss those days.

Now That is asking too much. Sorry no. Don't think it was a Connie either, were they flying in '52?

I got to do some of the first signs for the air museum there, some markings on the Solent, and lettering at Mike Bogue's shop on John Crockers planes, Mustang and Tiger Cat.

yep, Constellations were flying commercially since '46

Users who are viewing this thread

Back