A Malta commemorative Spitfire MkVc

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Zippythehog

Senior Airman
Jan 7, 2017
I recently completed this Sword Malta commemorative Spitfire MkVc.

Attachments

• IMG_0592.JPG
    IMG_0592.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 288
  • IMG_0553.JPG
    IMG_0553.JPG
    763 KB · Views: 257
  • IMG_0554.JPG
    IMG_0554.JPG
    795.1 KB · Views: 249
Last edited by a moderator:
"Slim" Yarra.

Thanks gents. Tamiya colors but I had to mix the Azure blue. I'm still of the opinion it may be a tad dark.

Geo- Mr. Burling's "S" is also on my dancecard. As to the colors- well, I encourage you to choose a direction and have a go.

BTW-
I know there is a great deal of speculation as to Malta colour schemes. I ran across these photos.

The Hudson is from the Imperial War Museum. Please note the top appears to be EDSG and Dark Slate Grey. The underside looks like Azure Blue (bottom of the engine cowling). This is neither a temperate sea scheme or a desert scheme.

But then I had a look at this photo of AVM Parks's Spit MkVb. I believe the underside is Azure Blue. The very bright sunlight reflecting off of the chalky surface is changing the hue. The top appears to be similar to the Hudson, but also a brighter hue due to the reflected sunlight.

What do you think?

Attachments

• IMG_0775.JPG
    IMG_0775.JPG
    48.5 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_0774.JPG
    IMG_0774.JPG
    48.4 KB · Views: 168
The Spit does not look to me like it has a Temperate Sea Scheme on the uppers. That said, it doesn't look like the Day Fighter Scheme either. The darker colour looks green, not grey but the lighter colour is odd, closer to Dark Slate Grey. The whole colour palette of that pic seems off to me, perhaps having the reds reduced somehow (look at the tape patches over the guns) so I'd be hesitant to conclude that the bottom is Azure Blue.

I agree with you on the Hudson though.

Thanks Turbo.
Crimea, good point about the red being diminished. The patches on the 303s do look brown. Even the squadron leader pennant by the windscreen looks subdued. I wonder if IWM has a faded picture.

Here's Keith Park's Spit after take off, at the same ceremony, on the same day, as the pic taken on the ground.
Underside looks too light for 'Azure' - compare with the color of the RAF Standard flying from the mast.

EDIT: - I forgot to add; although it may not be Azure, it seems to be some shade of blue, rather than MSG or Sky. Note the lower engine cowling, where the light hits it on the port side.

Clipboard01.jpg

Last edited:
Interesting.
Although I wonder if we could bring the red tint in the Spitfire picture to a deeper level, what that would do to the other colors?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back