A new book in my library. (2 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Another book to go in the ever expanding library

1421778-L.jpg

Wow, nice haul!

At the Alberta Military Model Show on Saturday, Robert Bailey, the renowned military artist, had a booth set up. I picked up the below print and book which he duly personalized for me. Spoke to him and his wife for a bit and they had some nice stories about Hajo Hermann and Walter Schuck. Little did I know, they live in Spruce Grove, Alberta, about a 3 hour drive north of me.

Attachments

• IMG_1941.jpg
    IMG_1941.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_1940.jpg
    IMG_1940.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 117
Been on the lookout for some books lately. I found this rather nice search-engine/database that allows you to look through the inventory of many second-hand bookstores in The Netherland, Germany and Belgium. I found a few books regarding the Nachtjagd. Plus since it's all second-hand bookstores, they are very affordable.

View attachment 177005

View attachment 177006

View attachment 177007

I'd certainly like to read the last two - NJG 2's operations over the UK are a particular interest of mine.

"Duel Under The Stars" is a fun read, very gung ho! Johnen comes across as a Teutonic Biggles!

@Maximowitz

Indeed Johnens book is fun to read, not so much because of the in-depth fact information and tech info, but because of the general impression one gets of (every day) life as a night fighter pilot through the eyes of one Wilhelm Johnen. Plenty of tongue in cheek kind of stories. Deutsche Nachtjagd is more of a photo thing, a lot of very nice pic's indeed (goes well with the Meyer Stipdonk series imho) I haven't read it all, but Ferne nachtjagd seems like a collection of notes and excerpts from things like diaries, combat reports and the like. I'm not sure if it's all through the eyes of one person (as far as diary excerpts goes) but it does hold a few interesting stories.

I was rather astonished by the story of a Ju-88 crew (not sure what the name of the pilot was) who had their pilot KIA over the UK. One of the remaining crew members (who had had a few flying lessons, but was rejected as an actual pilot in the luftwaffe) took over the helm and managed to steer the shot up crate across the Channel and bail out over occupied Belgium/France. Only to find their Ju-88 had flown all the way to Northern Italy without them before running out of fuel and crashing. (immediatly starts thinking of doing a scale model of that a/c ;) )

Last edited:
I was rather astonished by the story of a Ju-88 crew (not sure what the name ofe pic's indeed (goes well with the Meyer Stipdonk series imho) I haven't read it all, but Ferne nachtjagd seems like a collection of notes and excerpts from things like diaries, combat reports and the like. I'm not sure if it's all through the eyes of one person (as far as diary excerpts goes) but it does hold a few interesting stories. the pilot was) who had their pilot KIA over the UK. One of the remaining crew members (who had had a few flying lessons, but was rejected as an actual pilot in the luftwaffe) took over the helm and managed to steer the shot up crate across the Channel and bail out over occupied Belgium/France. Only to find their Ju-88 had flown all the way to Northern Italy without them before running out of fuel and crashing. (immediatly starts thinking of doing a scale model of that a/c ;) )

Details of which, plus photos can be found in "Intruders Over Britain" by Simon Parry. I believe the pilot killed was Staffelkapitan Paul Bohm - I may be wrong, I'm at work at the moment and my books are at home!

Just ordered 3 books for $13 total off Amazon....

"Messerschmitt 262, Arrow to the Future" by Walter J. Boyne
"Jagdgeschwader 51 'Mölders' "by John Weal
"Focke Wulf 190: The Birth of the Butcher Bird, 1939-43 (Luftwaffe At War)" by Morten Jessen

Attachments

• ShowImage.jpg
    ShowImage.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 130
  • 51CJKMT0YDL__SS500_.jpg
    51CJKMT0YDL__SS500_.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 122
  • 81f6810ae7a07e084339b110_L.jpg
    81f6810ae7a07e084339b110_L.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 117
this arrived in the mail Friday....New Book and Decals for subjects in the book.

Attachments

• Captured Eagles Decal Book_6918.jpg
    Captured Eagles Decal Book_6918.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 108
  • Captured Eagles Decals_6922.jpg
    Captured Eagles Decals_6922.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 95
  • Captured Eagles Vol 1_6915.jpg
    Captured Eagles Vol 1_6915.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 102

Users who are viewing this thread

Back