A new book in my library. (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Yep, I'm happy with that Andy.
I was about to order a 'used' copy from e-bay, at £17 + shipping, then did a slightly different search, and found this new copy on e-bay too !

Been trying to locate a copy of this book, at a reasonable price, for some time.
Publisher's price is £12.99 + shipping, but they're out of stock, and elsewhere, prices ranged from £20 to over £35 !!
Got this, brand new, for £5.99 and free shipping !

View attachment 359740
Are these genuine editions? That Delprado on the cover suggests otherwise.

I'll admit I hadn't noticed that until I actually got the book. It's actually an abridged version of the original "Mosquito Photo Recce Units of WW2", released (under licence) by Del Prado, still via Osprey.
The text and images are the same, with the same colour profiles, although these lack the full descriptive 'key' normally found at the back of the book, and the three-view drawings are not as good - not that I'd use the latter, as they are, as usual, inaccurate anyway.
The book is slightly thinner than the original, but to the same size and format and, overall, I'm happy enough, a it is mainly the profiles and info on the use of the PR.IX that I am interested in.

EDIT:- I've now had a chance to have a closer look at the book, and it's one of the editions from the 'weekly parts' series 'Aircraft of the Aces', published and marketed by Del Prado in 2001.
There are around 30 pages less than the original, of which around six to eight would have been the full descriptions for each profile, normally included as an appendix at the back of the book, and although there are still twelve pages of colour profiles, there are only two profiles per page, where the original would probably have shown three profiles.
Other than that, the size, format, printing and overall quality is identical to the original Osprey edition and, considering the low price, and the fact that the book covers the area in which I am interested, I am happy enough.

Last edited:
Been trying to locate a copy of this book, at a reasonable price, for some time.
Publisher's price is £12.99 + shipping, but they're out of stock, and elsewhere, prices ranged from £20 to over £35 !!
Got this, brand new, for £5.99 and free shipping !

Wow that is a great deal. Which search service did you use because my favourite (Bookfinder) has the cheapest new copy at about 20 quid plus shipping.

Mi

Just noticed the later posts - I am pleased it meets your needs though.

I did not look at BF to find if they listed the Del Prado editions or just Osprey.

I'd originally used a general search (just in case !), and then tried Bookfinder, Abe books and the 'usual' sources.
It was purely by chance, looking on e-bay, that I found this copy, which 'came up' as one of those 'similar items you're looking at', having already seen listings for the original Osprey version, between around £19 and £25.
Being pleased to find it at such a low price, I didn't even notice the change to the title format, or the fact thsat it was del Prado, until the book arrived !
The average price, new and used, seems to hover around the £20 mark, on e-bay and Amazon, for example, with some in the USA a little cheaper, but then there's the shipping cost (and possibly Customs charges, if the P.O. gets it wrong!) on top.
I saw some at silly prices, between £35 and £55 !

So, it's not the original edition, and was not advertised as such (my error in not looking closer !), but it's still the 'bulk' of the original text, photos and profiles and, for that price, I can't complain.
If you're interested in obtaining a copy of this version, send me a PM and I'll give you the vendor's details - I think he may have another copy.

Did real good there Terry!

another pressie in the letter box today....

1_Yamato Class Battleships.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back