A new book in my library. (2 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

If you want colour profiles on the Ki-43, I would recommend the Osprey "Aircraft of the Aces" book by Nick Millman. Yes, it only covers aces...but it's a great volume and has a lot of general operational history of the type.

Humm don't think I have that one, I have Ospreys Ki-43 Aircraft of the Aces by Hiroshi Ichimura and the Japanese Army Air force aces by Henry Sakaida. Could you post a picture of it. Below are the two I have at least from Osprey that would have the Ki-43 in them.

HPIM3318.JPG

A shame Paul, could have used another good English language book. I have the Schiffer book among others. The better ones are Aero Detail #29, Japanese/English and Famous Airplanes of the World #65, strictly Japanese

Yeah it is George, I may have to check those out later. Many thanks

Humm don't think I have that one, I have Ospreys Ki-43 Aircraft of the Aces by Hiroshi Ichimura and the Japanese Army Air force aces by Henry Sakaida. Could you post a picture of it. Below are the two I have at least from Osprey that would have the Ki-43 in them.

DOH!!! You're right. The Ki-43 hook is by Ichimura-san (FWIW he's an excellent researcher, too). I was getting confused with the Ki-27 Osprey book which is by Nick Millman. Mea culpa.

Looking forward to getting my hands on it.
Forgot to include this one - grabbed it at a really good price. There's a crater a couple of miles from my place, where an air launched V1 fell on Christmas Eve 1944 (aimed at Manchester, but fell on the edge of Macclesfield forest), and as I have the Monogram He-111H-22 with V1 kit, I thought I'd do it as one of the aircraft involved that night, so a bit of research needed.

Book win 2.jpg

Looking forward to getting my hands on it.
Forgot to include this one - grabbed it at a really good price. There's a crater a couple of miles from my place, where an air launched V1 fell on Christmas Eve 1944 (aimed at Manchester, but fell on the edge of Macclesfield forest), and as I have the Monogram He-111H-22 with V1 kit, I thought I'd do it as one of the aircraft involved that night, so a bit of research needed.

View attachment 486428

One reviewer writes....

Somewhat disappointing. I was expecting a balanced book with some information on air-launched V1's and the KG3 and KG53 operations with hopefully some accounts. There are some (very few), but the title is misleading. The book deals mostly with the development of a defence strategy against the V1, and presents some laundry lists of where the V1s fell, and their consequences, casualties, and so on. Most of the times it's quite a dry reading and covers in a very superficial way (when it does so at all) the Luftwaffe's point of view, the development of the V1 attack strategies, mobile, ramp, and air launchers.
Overall, a disappointment. If you expect a reference on the development of the V1, air launched operations, strategy and tactical details of the program, and field implementation, not to mention the KG3 and KG53 role on it all, you'll better search elsewhere, this just isn't it, no matter what the title says.
Probably of interest to someone who wants to know where a particular V1 fell, and in which farm, how many cows it killed, and so on. I'll give it two stars because there's some interesting information on the development of a V1 defence policy and some interesting period newspaper headlines and articles, but other than that, it was a severe disappointment, completely unbalanced

.....and another!

An interesting book in that it gives details of crash sites, damage caused and casualties; this information, particularly where sites outside of London were concerned, is not widely available unless one is determined to undertake much serious research. The book also gives details of aircrew, Allied and Luftwaffe, as well as of the aircraft involved although where the latter are concerned the information is basic. The author has obviously done his homework, to use a cliche, but sadly the book is let down by poor or non existent editing and/or proof reading. Errors include a number, albeit only a small number, of misspelled place names while the Heinkel aircraft (used to launch the V1's) is sometimes described correctly as the 111 but sometimes '111' is given in Roman numeral form which actually means '3', which is incorrect. Errors aside, my main grumble concerns terminology in respect of the V1 flying bomb. Towards the beginning of the book the author quotes the various names, official and nickname, given to the V1, which in itself is fine, but the author goes on to use many of the various names indiscriminately throughout the text - often using two or more names in the same paragraph and occasionally even in the same sentence. The appearance of various names in quoted reports of the time is perfectly acceptable but otherwise the author's constant chopping and changing between 'diver', 'flying bomb', 'fly bomb', 'fly', 'doodlebug', 'bug' and so on throughout the text is needless and extremely irritating. Why the author did not, having described the various names at the beginning, thereafter stick to something simple and familiar such as 'V1' is a mystery. Another grumble, which some may consider trivial, is the author's use of the spelling 'fuse'. In the context of the device which detonates a bomb, the widely accepted military spelling 'fuze' would have been more appropriate and thus would have looked less amateur. In total contrast, the author has used 'z' in other spellings where it should, in British English, be an 's'. So in summary, the book is generally interesting and useful for reference but be prepared for irritations of which there are many.

I now seem to recall seeing some rather poor reviews.
I haven't been able to find much detail, or pics, concerning the air-launched V1 attacks, particularly on the north of England, and was hoping that this book might have provided some detail on the units and aircraft. Ah well, it didn't cost much, so I'll see what it's like when it arrives.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back