A new book in my library. (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

This book has been on my want list since I saw it on one of the author's site, Old machine Press. And I had the pleasure of receiving this book from my son.

Given the authors, I had extremely high expectations for this book and they've been exceeded. This has been a fun read with some unexpected surprises. With a sub-title of "golden age of aviation" I expected this to be almost all post-war with enough pre-war to serve only as an introduction. But, with well over a hundred pages or so, pre-war aviation gets fleshed out very well and includes a few of the airframes being contemplated by the airlines in anticipation of post-war flying as a lead into the post-war boom.

Overall the additional collaboration by Jon Proctor and Mike Machat make for a well-rounded history that is heavily illustrated with period brochures and other documentation used to convey the glamour and the luxury of flying at the time. (Keep in mind a drink cost a one dollar at a time when the average salary was about nine dollars a day.) One other unexpected pleasure was the "Stewardess Stories" by Ms. James. They made for great reading.

There are a few minor quibbles, the layout is very reminiscent of the old Airpower and Wings magazines and therefore on occasion finding the text can be a challenge for a second, and the R4360 cutaway on page 119 isn't a cutaway.

Finding little things like a good explanation of the Sperry Analyzer and tying it into the work of the Flight Engineer (FE) also made for a pleasurable read along with illustrations of the FE positions on the Connie and Dornier Do X.

Also, while not normally associated with the golden age romance of transcontinental and trans-oceanic flights, the feeder liners of Convair and Martin also get some very decent coverage here as well. This book provides an exceptionally solid overview of US commercial aviation from the 1920's to the early dawn of the jet age. The authors/editors did an extraordinary job of maximizing the relevancy of the text while packing the book with various pictures, drawings, brochure art, etc., as a result the illustrations also tell a story in the best tradition of Airpower and Wings magazines.

Recommended without reservation for anyone interested in airlines, aviation, radial engine development, or air travel.

download (4).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
20190601_085933.jpg

20190601_085826.jpg

Picked these up for $10.00 each. Spanish with (mostly) english photo captions. Was on the fence until volume 2, and an odd caption calling attention to the mg in the engine nacelle...I though "Oh boy, there is a good there", but low and behold, there poking out from the top rear of the engine nacelle was a fixed mg! Damn. Never knew that. There were actually a few pictures showing this installation on both engines. Anybody know this before? Worth the money just for that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back