A new book in my library. (2 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Arrived this week:

s-l1600-28.jpg
s-l1600-29.jpg
s-l1600-30.jpg
s-l1600.jpg

'Mustang: The Untold Story' by Matthew Willis.
This book is all about the Allison engined Mustangs.

The back cover of the book states: " A unique and highly illustrated portrait of one of the most famous US aircraft of World War II, featuring all new analysis and rare images".
Whoever buys this book because of the images will be very disappointed.
One would buy this book for the text only, most of the images are useless.

The book is a hardcover with dust cover and has 288 numbered pages of 15 x 23.5 cm of ordinary slightly yellowish paper. The photos on these pages are of lousy or even terrible quality. On some photos one can hardly see that the plane is a Mustang. There are also 16 pages of glossy paper with a mix of decent b&w and colour photos, the latter mainly of survivors.

There is an appendix named "Mustang colours" which mentions types of paint used, but there are no colour profiles or any colour in it. There is no index in this book. TOC is attached below.

I wonder what went wrong here. Was there no editor involved?
Did nobody look at the proof prints before this book was produced in large numbers? Is it a POD or similar?
It's sad really, all that effort by the author and then this poor result due to other parties.

Mustang The Untold Story.jpg

Mustang The Untold Story - TOC.jpg

And here comes this buying season big prize.

And when saying big I wasn't meaning large (I didn't know it was that big, finger of a skinny 172 cm european for comparing purposes).

I was meaning a bargain at less than 29 euros with shipping, 2nd hand but only noticed by slight bend in the dust jacket.

BTW, very potent preface. It's easy to judge with 20/20 hindsight. Not so easy when one is in the middle.

IMG20220307155347.jpg

IMG20220307161323.jpg

Just came today. I had checked to see who sold it in the US and when I checked the price at Barnes & Noble, they offered me a 15% off with free shipping over $50 deal. I did have to wait three weeks and their packaging less than the best, but it is here.

IMG_6483 copy.jpg

Just came today. I had checked to see who sold it in the US and when I checked the price at Barnes & Noble, they offered me a 15% off with free shipping over $50 deal. I did have to wait three weeks and their packaging less than the best, but it is here.

View attachment 660634

Send it to Calum, since he posts on the forum, and get him to sign it for you. :)

I hope that I will be forgiven for reporting on a book that I am rereading rather than one that I have just bought but I can recommend Edward Miller's "Bankrupting the Enemy: The U.S. Financial Siege of Japan Before Pearl Harbor" , which reports how sanctions reduced the Japanese economic options to the extent that Stanley Hornbeck Stanley Hornbeck - Wikipedia could be confident in November 1941 that the Japanese economy could not support a conflict with the USA.

book1.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back